e i g h t

I woke up, bright and early, smile on my face, which was pretty rare.  

The trees a few yards away gave a fresh smell, despite New York's pollution.

I got dressed in the bathroom.  Julie had given me at least 3 different shirts and pants and a few sweaters and dresses.  I felt so happy to be able to change my clothes everyday.  

Today, I decided to wear a pretty blue t-shirt with black leggings.  I pulled a black sweater over my head, and pulled my backpack on.

After staying with Peter for a few hours, learning some math, some might say that it was complete hell.  

But I actually kind of liked it.  It felt like I was smart.  

Even though I was there because I wasn't smart.

People say Monday's are the worst.  Before, all the days weren't counted.  

But I might just have to disagree with that. 

The walk to school was cheerful.  

I dunno, I guess forgiving Sam was the right thing to do.  That heavy burden had lifted.  

Although it felt like there was still a million pounds on my back. 

When I came through the doors of the high-school, I made a beeline to my locker, not wanting to be late.

But instead of making it to the locker, I came face to face with a wall.

A human wall.  

His muscles were massive, his t-shirt stretched tight.  He looked pretty hot.  

I mentally slapped my forehead in frustration.  Pull it together Barlowe.

"Hey, watch it!"  the guy said, his face red.

I rolled my eyes, and kept walking.

"I'm talking to you!" he said, demanding attention.  "Hey!  HEY!"  he roared.

Boys.

He grabbed my arm.  My mind became a whirlwind of memories.

All bad ones.

My eyes glassed, my mind blocking out everything that he was yelling at me.

A man, in dark clothes, his eyes hidden behind sunglasses.

His thin, bony fingers wrapped around my frail wrist, his sharp nails digging into my flesh.  

Four other men standing with their arms crossed, ready to attack anyone who defen-

"Hey!  Take your hands off her!"  a familiar voice yelled.

I came back to reality.

I shoved the guy away, holding my wrist in my hand.