Chapter 5:

Hannah POV:
I wake up in a bright white room. My mind and body feel slow and my head is pounding. A machine next to me makes a constant 'biip' sound every second. I look around and fear washes over me. My clothes have been changed so I no longer wear my white dress, but instead I wear a light blue dress with small white dots on. It's loose and a little too big for me. There's a wire on my finger and it's connected to a machine. I remove the small plastic cap on my finger to which the cord is connected and the machine starts making a sound. It's loud and scary, so I decide to run out and find the council members, but when I step out of bed my legs betray me and I fall to the ground. "Ouch!" I shout as my body comes in contact with the cold floor.

The door is slammed open and several people enter the room. Among them is the kind lady Luna Mary. A man and a young woman rush over to me and stand on either side of me, each grabbing an arm. I panic and pull my arms back towards my chest. I look at Mary with tears in my eyes, the wetness streaming down my cheeks and a loud sob escapes from my mouth.

A rough growl resonates through the room. They both release me immediately. I freeze and feel my blood run cold. I stare down at the floor terrified to find out what made that sound. I feel my heart beating faster and the air changing- suddenly the air doesn't seem to enter my lungs at all. I try to keep myself calm but all the people and this scary place makes it hard.

"Everybody step back. The girl is obviously scared, and grabbing her or growling will certainly not make it better" Mary says and carefully moves closer to me "I know you're scared Hannah but we just want to help you. Please breathe. In.. and out.. In.. and out.." I do as she says and I feel it helping a bit but still my lungs crave air. "You fainted so we brought you to our medical clinic. You need rest honey. Please let us help you back in bed "Mary says and smiles gently. I wipe my tears away and nod. "Marc will lift you back into bed. He will not hurt you, I promise" she speaks once more.

A man walks up to me and squats down before putting one arm under my legs and one arm around my back. His touch is gentle yet the urge to scream and fight him off me is massive. He lifts me up in bed in a light and smooth motion. As he lifts me up, my body is pressed against his and the amazing smell enters my nostrils. A deep lovely scent of forest, citrus and spices. Suddenly the air got a lot easier to breathe. I inhale deeply before he releases me and takes a big step backwards. I can't resist the urge to find out who he is, so I look up. A large man with olive skin and jet black hair stands in front of me. He is at least 6'2 feet tall and has broad shoulders. His muscles are showing in his tight navy blue t-shirt and it almost looks like he is tensing his muscles. A large tattoo is running up his upper arm and disappears into the t-shirt. His jaw is sharp and has a trace of a stubble. I find myself starring into his mesmerizing dark brown eyes that appear to be infinitely deep. The longer I stare into them little swirls of gold seem to appear. He is definitely handsome! I snap out of it as I realize he's staring back at me and I quickly lower my head. How could I be so stupid. Making eye contact with a stranger. He must think I'm so disrespectful! I feel a warmth spread across my cheeks.

A low growling sound comes from the man. It's he who made the sound before! I not only disrespected a stranger, but a dangerous stranger! I squeeze my eyes shut and prepare for the punch or whatever punishment they prefer here.. But it doesn't come.

The man who first tried to grab my arm starts talking "Hello Hannah. I'm Dr. Brown. Like Luna Mary said, you fainted yesterday. Your heart rate was very slow and unsteady and furthermore you were severely dehydrated". There is a silence for a moment. I hug my knees to my chest and stare at my fingers. "Do you understand what I'm saying Hannah?" the doctor asks softly.

I nod, but keep my eyes focused on my hands. I feel so embarrassed. I put so many people to work. And made a fool off myself and the witches by not being strong enough to do the spell. Wait! Did he say yesterday? The spell! The meeting! What have I done!

The man next to me takes a step closer to me again and I smell his perfume once again. Or is it just his own scent? "Talk to us Hannah. What's going on? Your heart is beating so fast right now" Luna says and sits on the edge of my bed.

"How did the voting turn out?" I ask, my voice hoarse and low. "The voting? Your coven remains in the committee" Luna Marry says with a puzzled look on her face.

I breathe a sigh of relief and relax a bit. "So I didn't ruin it?" I whisper to Mary. "Oh no sweetie, on the contrary actually"

"On the contrary? What do you mean?" I ask in amazement at how I may have affected it positively.

"That is a story for another day. Right now, just focus on getting better. How are you feeling?" She ask.

"I'm fine. I'd better get back to the others" I say, pushing my legs over the edge of the bed again. Before I can get up, the man who lifted me up in bed steps forward and says "Don't even try to get up again". His voice is dark and smooth.

"I really can't stay" I argue afraid that the council members won't take my absence lightly.

My mind is torn between the order from the man to stay in bed and to go back where I belong. I know the council members want me to come back, so I decide to try to get up again anyway.

As I try to get up from the bed he growls loudly. "Stop it!" he snarls and I flinch back and hug my legs once again. "I will tie you to the goddam bed if you try again"

"Marc! Stop it! Hannah they are no longer in the guest wing. They traveled back home. They left after the vote." Luna Mary interrupts.

What does she mean? Traveled back home? without me? They wouldn't leave me here in the wolves' territory. Would they?

"I don't understand" I say as a tear runs down my cheek again. "they abandoned me?"

"Oh honey it's not like that! It's only for a while and then you can go home too. But before we can send you home we have to fix something" she looks at the man next to me and gives me a weak smile.

"Hannah do you know what a mate is ?" she then asks and smile.