epilogue

https://open.spotify.com/track/0T5iIrXA4p5GsubkhuBIKV?si=d415009b8be64011

three men resided in the conference lounge in the heart of Bonten, their headquarters in Central Tokyo that isn't so far from one of the bars they owned. one was their leader, on his usual chair, sitting as he usually did like any other day—his elbow on the arm of the chair, his chin on his palm.

the other was his purple-haired subordinate who was scanning through his files while briefing him on recent events. Ran reported to him at least once a month about internal affairs; the man did his job well. and apparently, he's wiped out a few of their men who had loose tongues, greedy hands, and middle names for Judas.

"by a few, you mean 78 of our men? most of which veterans?"

Rans shrugs. "the older you get, the more your loyalty withers."

Mikey sighs, looking down on the bloodied man on the floor, his purple, distorted limbs tied behind his back, his face sandwiched between the sole of Ran's shoe and the concrete.

"what does Red Flower want? you're not the first spy they've sent," Mikey asks.

"I already told you."

"let me reiterate." Ran smiles at him as he tears off his shoe, tilting his head so the man met his eyes.

leaning his elbows on his knees Ran looked down at him.

"how much of Bonten have you revealed?"

"nothing!"

Ran takes a whiff of his cigarette before making an ashtray on the middle of the man's forehead. he only smiles as he screamed.

"you worked with external affairs. did you rat out our sources? hm? is that why two of them backed out in the past month?"

"I don't—I don't know!"

he clicks his tongue as the man tried to rise up. the nuzzle of Ran's gun only pushes him back down the floor. his tears mixed with his blood, his screams were raw agony and fear. perhaps he was at his breaking point. a dead man was more desperate than one dying when it came to the offer of life.

"I'll let you walk out that door a free man if you tell me one thing...forget about our intel."

and there it was, hope. Ran could feel his sadism kick in, the kind for the long-con. what better way to torment a person than fuck him up physically and mentally. that said, he knew he was a twisted man.

"how many more of you are here in Bonten?"

the captive's eyes widened in surprise. he tilts his head teasingly.

"you thought I wouldn't know? one spy's too inefficient."

"I'm the only one, I swear."

"I'll find them all out eventually anyway. you'll all die the same way if not worse. is that what you want? for all of you to die? I'm giving you a chance to be free here."

turmoil washed over his eyes. he looked away from Ran. Mikey was watching apathetically. there's no greater dilemma than rationality over loyalty.

"I feel sorry for you, Haitani."

"oh?"

"I accept my death...but let me tell you this. even with the ways we live, everyone has purpose. you have nothing, you're only vile and cruel with no reason to back up for it. you're not loyal to your king, or to anyone. you live a lonely, pathetic life with no aim, you just kill and kill to feel things."

Ran raises his brows, genuinely surprised. "is that so?"

there wasn't anymore to say and the man was a dead man. Ran completely agreed with what he said, and he was totally fine with it. life was dull and boring, he's completely sure there was nothing to it at all. it's why he chose to live not caring about the law or morality or dreams. he just takes what he wants; there was no meaning to anything.