38 - falling apart (i.)

Hikari felt like a mom more than a sister. among the crowd of middle-aged women with their uncaring husbands, Hikari stood alone, holding a camera in hand as she takes hundreds of photos of her cute little brother on stage.

today was an awarding ceremony for the school's achievers. Haru's neck probably hurt from having worn so many medals, and such a grumpy, serious child was smiling brightly—surprising even his teachers.

"look here," she called.

he grinned wider, holding his certificates. he was a kid who went to school with bruises and was rarely seen without a scowl. but here he was, for the first time ever, looking exactly like how a ten year old should.

it was also the first time Hikari openly supported him in school. she couldn't before—foster parents somehow hated their 'child' getting involved with the family 'that couldn't even feed him.'

times have changed. the siblings were happy—genuinely happy.

as Haru marched down the stairs of the stage, he instantly ran to Hikari, throwing his arms around her waist.

"nee-chan!"

"I'm so proud of you," she gushed, bending down to hug her brother.

"are you? are you really?"

"of course I am, my brother's obviously the smartest kid here."

"I took after you," he says with a grin as he pulled away.

she squeezed his cheeks. as the days went by, Haru was looking more and more like Hideo; though she guesses the three of them did possess uncannily distinct features. 'the embodiment of night' as Ran put it. he said it was their elegant movements and dark hair and eyes, and pale skin.

she kind of saw what he means now. Haru was only ten, but he behaves so neatly and maturely.

"congratulations, Haru," she mutters, eyes shining with barely kept tears as she kissed his cheek.

he blinked once. he stared at his beautiful sister. then he burst to tears, wrapping his arms around her neck. Hikari only smiled as she lifted him up her arms even though he was heavy now—weeks living together and Ran's fattened him up.

they left the doors of the area, his sobs echoing in the empty hall as Hikari patted his back.

"why are you crying?" she softly says.

"I finally know what's it like to belong in a family."

"I see...I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, cry it all out." he was just a kid. he cried like a kid. he clutched on her clothes like a kid.

Hikari sat him down on the bench on the school field, the woman crouching before him as she wiped his tears.

"we'll always be family, and from now on we'll spend all our time together alright?"

"but Ran's taking you away so soon," he sobbed, "I hate him so much—he's stealing you from me and he's already had so many memories with you! it's my turn!"

"what? who's stealing who? Ran's not taking me away, Haru."

"he is! your wedding's next week."

"nothing will change, love. the three of us will live together at home, in fact, we're already married. the ceremony's just something we'd like to have—you'll be happy for us, won't you?"

"nee-chan, he literally has your honeymoon planned for a month!" he cried. "who does that?! why a month?! doesn't he get sick of you?!"

"no, I don't, kid."