02 - rindou

"I was simply taking a walk," she smiles.

"yes, of course you were," he scowls, shoving her harshly in his room before he follows suit, closing the door.

"Rin I don't even fucking know why you keep me locked up in that place."

"it's because a lot of people are fucking out for your head!" he yells, barely a foot away from her as he points at her face, "and as if that's not fucking enough, even you would kill yourself, you fucking ungrateful bit—"

"I told you I wasn't trying to kill myself."

"oh so what? you were just trying to take a swim? like you were trying to take a walk just now?"

he was seething, clearly enraged. Hikari felt the ugly colors of red running through her veins as she looks back at him. he was infuriating, and it made her blood boil past the point of her being able to hold back her tongue.

"what is it to you? whether I die or live?!"

"oh don't fucking go there, my brother did all he could to s—"

"but you are not your brother!"

she gasps as fingers wrap around her throat, shoving her backwards until her back hits the table. black eyes glare at his purples, the man having clenched his jaw so much that his teeth hurt. at the moment, there was no one else Rin hated more than her, especially when she kept talking.

"Ran, he," she stutters. saying his name still hurts, not as much as Rindou's nails though. "I would've understood it if he was worried for me, but you, what is it to you, Rin?! protecting me in your brother's honor?!"

"Ran," he lowly says, tightening his grip on her throat even as he sees the tears in her eyes ", is dead. he's not here. I am."

she extends her hand to scratch his face, effectively making him step back from her. the girl immediately slouches down, holding the table for support as she takes in all the air she can get for her depraved lungs.

"you're a bitch through and through," he scowls, his cheek burning from her ridiculously sharp nails.

she stands upright, eyeing the door behind him. another escape wasn't an option since she'd probably get shot for real this time; she just wanted to get away from Rin.

"still doesn't explain why you're so hell-bent on protecting me, Rin," she mutters under her breath, walking past him while he was still assessing his scratched cheek.

apparently getting away without a hitch was too much to hope for as he grabs her by her wrist, spinning her around quite harshly like he always is with her. due to the force of his pull, they stood closer than she'd like—close enough that she pressed against him. she could feel the rise and fall of his chest as he glares frustratedly at her.

"let me go."

"my job is to protect you."

"your job is to kill people and do whatever it is you guys do in Bonten," she snorts. "ah, your cheek is bleeding."

her fake concern made him roll his eyes, but he wasn't able to retort having felt her fingers touch his stinging cheek. "...get your hand off me."

"does it hurt?" she purrs, looking up at him. again, he clenches his jaw.

"shall I cut your hand off?"

"always so barbaric, Rindou," she chuckles, dropping her hand.

before she could step back, he pulls her in by her waist, the girl all the more surprised as he leans in closer. "what will it take for you to willingly live with me? it's not forever, just until the coasts are clear and I can make sure you won't die if I let you be."