03 - the man in the purple suit

Rindou had spent the whole drive from their house back to their headquarters thinking about what happened earlier—especially on what didn't happen. her lips were so soft and she was a skillful kisser, he'll give her that, but oh where could she have learned to kiss like there was no tomorrow.

he recalls what Ran had told him. he didn't like it, although he isn't sure why.

Rin had cleaned Hikari's wounds, and as he did so she often complained he was too harsh. maybe he just had no idea how to be gentle, but maybe he was learning from the whole day they spent together too. Rin had dozed off while she was in the bathroom, and hours later he woke up to the sun setting and Hikari playing his old video games.

she was lovely in his bedroom, looking as if she belonged there.

"I don't remember telling you that you could touch my things," he mutters.

"you were asleep."

"you could've woken me."

"I like you when you sleep though, you finally shut up."

he had let out a breath of annoyance then, but really, he was glad she was just close to him as he slept. Ran was probably finished with his killing spree, it would've been safe to go out. he watched Hikari a little longer then; she seemed to be good at video games, while he wasn't such a fan of it even back then. why fight in a screen when he could do more in real life?

"shall we get going?" he'd asked, and she'd looked up at him from the floor. she'd knocked him off his breath, what with their faces so close.

"you don't want to sleep more?"

"it's fine. let's have dinner at some restaurant we'll pass by."

"how about a picnic here, Rin? I like the breeze and sights of this place."

he grumbled and told her she was a hassle, but they had a picnic nonetheless. thankfully, she didn't notice the lack of men in the servants, or else he'd have no way of explaining they were massacred because of Ran's wrath.

"we're here sir," the driver calls.

Rin was pulled away from his thoughts as he automatically glances at the sleeping woman beside him in the backseat. she had leaned her head on the window, her legs curled up to her chest from the cold. he refuses to give her his jacket. Rin sighs as his eyes travel down her frame. she wore his sweatshorts and shirt, but her appeal was barely stifled. he wanted to shift nearer—no, he wanted to pull away.

before he knew it, he was softly touching the side of her face. the girl frowned, and unknowingly, he smiled to himself; there was a certain joy in knowing he still pissed her off to a degree even when unconscious.

"Rin?"

"we're home."

"don't say that." there was a certain melancholy in her sleepy voice. from the glint of the city lights, her eyes were glossy, like she had almost cried. was it a bad dream?

"say what?"

"this isn't my home, Rin." she smiled. he hated it. he could vaguely remember her calling the penthouse her home multiple times before—when Ran was still by her side.

without a word, he pulls away and opens his car door. he walks in ahead, not even bothering to look back if she'd followed. Hikari sighs as she went in the building herself, mildly surprised to find that he was waiting for her by the elevators.

"why'd you storm off?"

"shut up."

this child, she grimaced to herself.