Chapter Twenty Nine

LYRA
______

I must have cried for a good fifteen minutes, not seeming to calm down. My wolf wasn't helping either, she was in a worse state than I. I had to comfort her, to assure her that she couldn't have done anything else to help our mate.

Drowsiness was slowly starting to engulf me, but I refused to let sleep take over, not until I made sure Alexander was really okay. My head rested on top of his hand that I had a tight grip on, with my eyes fixated on his face. Despite the condition he was in, he appeared breathtaking.

I turned my head in to the bed, whimpering as newly formed tears escaped my eyes, crying in to his hand. I was sobbing quietly, praying that Alexander woke up soon, when I felt his fingers twitch in my hand.

My brows furrowed at the sudden muscle spasm of his hand, almost as if I had imagined it, when I felt a hand on my head, stroking my hair gently.

Gasping lowly, I raised my head to glance at my mate, my eyes widening when I locked gaze with his blue ones staring back at me. His eyelids remained weak, but his eyes were open, making me exhale a shaky breath, realising he was okay. He really was okay.

"Hey," he muttered, his voice low and croaky, whilst his fingers brushed against my cheek, gently.

Hearing his voice made me weep immediately, probably throwing him off by my sudden action. I pulled myself up and hopped on the bed, cuddling in to him as I cried hysterically in to his side.

"Lyra," he said my name softly, holding me close to him. "Baby, it's alright."

I shook my head, crying. "I thought the worst. I wasn't sure if you would wake up. I was so scared."

"Shh," he cooed, before he kissed my forehead. "I am alright, aren't I?"

I lifted my head to examine him, swallowing the lump in my throat. His eye muscles seemed stronger now and his eyelids weren't as droopy, his eyes were bright and blue, a small smile tugged at his lips as he watched me search his face.

Except, I couldn't help but continue cry, grateful to know he was alright, after all. My wolf was whimpering, wanting to never leave his side again. She was ecstatic to know he really was okay, but had definitely become clingier.

"Oh, baby, come here," Alexander said, before he pulled me flush to him. "I promise you, I am perfectly fine, a little groggy that is all."

"The doctor said there was venom involved that's probably why," I croaked, sniffling loudly. "You told me I'd be safe at the undergrounds, you never listen to me."

Alexander inhaled sharply, making my head move with the movement of his chest. "You were right, I will admit," he agreed, his arm around me holding firmly to him. "I am glad that you are alright, Lyra. I lost complete control thinking that bastard had hurt you."

"He didn't, but you got hurt instead," I whimpered, feeling my voice break off as more tears accumulated in my eyes.

"Alright," Alexander murmured, his chin rested on top of my head. "Let's calm you down, hmm? I am perfectly alright, baby. Come on."

He held me for a good ten or fifteen minutes, whilst murmuring words of endearment in my ear. I wasn't sure where all my tears came from, but I didn't stop crying until the sun rose, brightness shining in to the room.