Chapter Nineteen

*Aspen

LYRA
______

"You seem quite surprised," Aspen commented, raising a brow curiously, before he gestured for Kai to read a book by the dining table. "Now, don't look at me like that. Things were a hot mess with Jess."

I narrowed my eyes as I watched him take a sip of the drink in his hand, once he had successfully dumped his pup on the chair with a book.

Curiously, I asked, "You had a thing with her?"

Placing the cup down on to the coffee table, he nodded. "Of course. She was hot, psycho but hot."

"Was she your mate?" I asked, hesitantly, feeling slight nervous.

Aspen scoffed. "Nah," he replied. "I met her years ago, at a party. She didn't have a mate, neither did I. We hit it right off, but then she became quite possessive."

In all honesty, I was surprised to hear that he had a past with Jessica, but I couldn't care less about the details. I was more curious to know why Alexander was involved with her and why there was a pup that looked like him.

"She moved on to Alexander because you didn't want her anymore?"

"I must have gotten really drunk," he said, shrugging. "And I told her about Alexander. It was all fine and dandy at first, until Alexander's mother found out about me. She saw me with Jessica, the night that I found out she was pregnant."

"What's wrong with her seeing you?"

Aspen frowned, before he swallowed. "The former Luna had been searching for me for years, to kill me, and found me right under her wing. Jess knew that the Luna wanted to kill me, so she had to find a way to protect me," he elaborated, giving me a look that I could not describe. "Her plan involved sedating your mate and making it seem as though it had been him that she got pregnant by, because it wouldn't have been long after when everyone would have found out that she was expecting."

Gasping lowly, I narrowed my eyes at him. "You knew of her plan and you allowed for it to happen?"

Aspen growled. "Of course not. Do you think I'm that sort of a person?" he retorted, his eyes slightly darker. "I watched Alexander grow up. I protected him from afar as his older brother. You think I would let a dumb bitch do that to him if I was aware?"

Chewing on my bottom lip, I glanced at him, searching to see if there was any ulterior motive behind his words, but when there wasn't, I nodded.

Sighing, I said, "Fine. So, she got with my mate, did things to him, to convince others that the pup was his?"

"Yes and no," Aspen replied, his eyes softer now. "She wanted Alexander, regardless. Sometimes, I wonder if she knew about us being brothers and got with me to be closer with him, you know. She didn't think twice with the plan she had plotted, and she seemed quite ecstatic the day after."

Blood boiled inside of me at his words. My wolf was angry because we hadn't had the chance to kill the damn wolf ourselves. It didn't take a genius to figure out that she had wanted Alexander.

"She was successful in what she did, though. I have to give her that," Aspen stated. "The former Luna was convinced that the pup was Alexander's, and Jess injected his, you know, stuff, in to herself, to even further complicate the DNA."