Chapter Seventeen

LYRA
______

Alexander was by my side in an instant, his eyes dark and hard. His chest was rising and falling with each breath, he was furious but looked absolutely torn.

"I'm okay," I assured, holding on to the cut on my arm to stop the bleeding. "It just burns slightly. I will heal soon. Tell me, what happened?"

Alexander growled loudly, but didn't respond when he grabbed the hem of my top and tore a piece of the fabric off. Without a warning, he removed my hand from my arm and wrapped the piece of fabric tightly around the cut, tying it in to place, making me grimace in the process.

Disgustingly, I wiped my bloodied hand on my top, seeing as it was ripped, I would be throwing it away later anyway.

Alexander placed his hands on either side of my arms, examining me to ensure he hadn't done any further damage. His eyes, filled with regret and concern, searched every inch of my skin. Once he was content that I seemed alright, he sighed loudly.

"I shouldn't have lost control like that around you," he grunted, lowly, his eyes dark. "I hurt you."

Frowning, I placed my hand on his cheek. "I'm okay," I promised, before I reached on my tiptoes and pecked his lips to calm his wolf.

When he didn't seem to be calming down, I laced my arms around his neck and embraced him, hoping our close proximity would help him feel more relaxed.

I was aware that the situation was a heavy one, and we were still coming to terms with Aspen and the pup, but I didn't want Alexander to be overly worked up since we still had a pack to protect.

Aspen was watching us with hard eyes. When his gaze landed on me, he arched a brow. "I will be back another day to explain the rest," he said, his voice firm. "I forgot he is younger than me after all."

"You are not leaving until I have confirmed your status," Alexander growled and was about to push me away to turn to the wolf, but I held him tightly in my arms.

'I need a moment with you, alone,' I mind-linked my mate, knowing there was no other way to keep him calm.

I felt him tense under my touch, and he nodded in agreement, giving me the green light to go ahead and dismiss Aspen.

"Leave," I ordered Aspen, my voice filled with authority. "Return back to Jenna if you wish to remain alive in our territory. Wait there until Alexander is ready to speak to you again."

The man in question bowed his head once at my words, before he pulled away from the desk and strutted out of the office. Perhaps, he wasn't to be trusted, but in that moment, I needed to make sure that Alexander was alright.

Pulling away from my mate enough to look at him, I cupped his face, making him glance down at me. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

He sighed heavily, closing his dark eyes briefly, before he re-opened them. "I need to speak with Adam," he told me, his eyes dark with swirling blue specs. His voice was hard and cold. "I do not believe a word that wolf is saying until I have confirmation that he is my brother."

I nodded, and ran my hand across his nude torso. "I think that's quite fair," I added. "I just hate seeing you like this."

Alexander brushed a strand of my hair from my face, before his head tilted to the side so he could get a better view of my arm with the blood covered fabric on it.