[ 28 ]

Here she was, walking onto the pedestrian bridge, eyes darting around to find the person she had called. The chain strap of her bag was clutched tightly between her fist. Her hair blew in front of her face, causing her to have to reach up and push it back, almost missing the exact person she was looking for. Her face lightened once she found them. 

     "What's up?" 

     Her face fell back into her serious mode. For a second there, she had forgotten what she was going to do. She couldn't get distracted, not at this moment. 

     "We need to talk." She stated.

     The blond looked over her. "...Come on." He said and began walking. He didn't question what she needed, already having a good idea about it. 

     As they walked side-by-side in thick tension. She couldn't look over at him as she thought of what to say first, opting to look over the railing at the trees that were already turning orange and gold. 

     "You..." She finally spoke up, "...know my brother, the one who always forces me out of the house?"

     Of course, this was linked to him. 

     "It's hard to forget that fucker." He answered. 

     "I vaguely remember him being nice. He used to let me ride on his back and we played games together. But now he's a nightmare. He rarely ever listens to our parents, he always smokes and always drinks when he shouldn't. He comes home late into the night and sometimes doesn't come home at all. He targets those lower than him for fun, steps all over them, forcing them the be his little shuttles and minions. He always fights and comes home with torn-up fists and blood on his hands. He steals without remorse."

     He listened to her speak, not daring to speak up to hear what she had to say. As long as it wasn't him spilling his past, he didn't care if she was. 

     "He cheats. He's quick to anger. He's so mean. He torments me if I don't stay in line. He calls me names and I'm so lucky he hasn't physically hit me unlike him and Jin at times." She finally stopped her ranting about her brother and looked up at the side of Donald's face, "What I'm saying is...Are you like him?"

     "Do you want to know?" He asked, glancing down at her from the side of his eyes.

     She looked away, back over at the trees they were passing and sighed, "I do but I don't. I guess I'll have to trust that you aren't."

     "People are similar to each other in some way. Everyone has negative traits; hatred, anger, cheating, stealing, stepping over those that are lower, fighting---it's just the way it is. Terrible things will always happen, and everyone is going to display something terrible as well. Even you. Life truly is a bitch and there are times when the bad things to you are what's needed for someone else."

     A pitiful laugh spilt from her and she mumbled, "You're right. I just wish it could stay hidden."

     "As I said, life's a bitch." Donald commented. 

     "That's too clear." She scoffed. 

     After another stretch of silence, he spoke, "...You were there."

     Huh? He must've meant when she saw him beating that guy way passed when he should've stopped. Nervously, she reached up to pet a strand of her hair. "I was." She confirmed, "What I saw was something that reminded me of Chance. So, I steered clear of you to think."

     She stopped walking and turned to him, her hands entwined behind her back. Bashfully, she continued, "But I don't want to stop being around you. You do things that he does, but you aren't him."

     "I wouldn't dream of being like him." Donald nonchalantly said. 

     "And..." She sheepishly stared down at the ground before shaking her head and hugging herself. "Geez, it's getting cold out." She awkwardly laughed and continued walking.

     "I've come to terms with the situation. You fight. You might do more, I don't know. So I still don't know if I'll be around much. I don't think you'd want a crying girl hindering you if you ever do get in a fight around me, anyway." She lightly joked.

     "True." He chuckled in agreement, leaning sideways slightly. She jolted as her elbow brushed against him, yanking her arm closer to her. 

     "Don't tell me you're scared of me now." He teased upon seeing her reaction.

     "I'm not!" She exclaimed, pursing her lips and glancing down at his hand. 

     He decided to have some mercy on her and not continue teasing her for jumping, instead, telling her something else, "You know, you're not as airheaded as I originally thought."

     "You thought I was an airhead?!" She squealed out in astonishment. Her agape mouth closed, yet she still flushed at the embarrassing revelation and reluctantly nodded, "...Well, I can see why."

     "Not so much anymore. You always end up finding something out. I'd say you have some twisted form of luck."

     She sighed, "All I found out was your fights."

     "Still, you're lucky." He impelled.

     "And you're unnaturally smart." She softly argued. 

     "I know."

     And not so humbled. She pursed her lips before slowly smiling and rushing off to the railing to look down. Now that the talk was over, she felt so much lighter! Now she could finally relax. 

     "I thought you were cold." He commented, joining her side as she crossed her arms on the railing. She was on her tiptoes to reach the top so she could rest her chin on her arms. 

     "I said it was getting cold." She murmured, quickly glancing at him, "Besides, it's nice to pause and take in the scenery."

     He only laughed and looked down as well. And thus, it was back; that soft atmosphere that they had gotten used to being there. It was missed.

°~°💮°~°