[ 06 ]

"Um," Lotus awkwardly began.

     She was sitting beside Donald Na, fingers tapping her knees as she gazed away from him. They had moved to another spot. Sitting in the middle of the walkway was inconsiderate to anyone who just wanted to walk past and she didn't need to watch the caterpillar anymore. 

     They had been in silence up until now. He didn't mind it, but she did. It felt as if she needed to talk. Otherwise, she would probably stay awake late at night cringing to herself because she was once again her nervous self that made everything unpleasant. 

     "I don't mean this in a rude way, but why are you still here?" She asked, taking a speedy glance at him. 

     He gave a buzz of thought before answering, "I have nothing to do."

     She rose a brow and repeated, "Then... Why are you still here?"

     Maybe that came out unsavoury, but she truly didn't mean it that way. She was curious. If he was bored, surely he would try to cure it.

     "You're better than nothing." He stated. 

     A sullen frown appeared on her lips. That wasn't the answer she guessed he would give. She didn't know why she sulked, but Donald found it amusing as he gave a short haughty laugh. 

     With a slumped posture, Lotus checked her phone. There were still no notifications of a text. It was beginning to get dark out as well. The clouds had turned the alluring colours she originally wanted to see and were slowly changing into purples with the sky. 

     Chance was taking his dandy time. He knew that she was terrified of staying out when it was dark. The horror stories she was always told popped up in her brain each time she stayed out late. If she were to be out at night, she only felt safe with someone there that she knew could protect her. 

     "Waiting for someone?" Donald asked, catching her expecting gaze glued to the phone. 

     A feeble sound left her at his question. Waiting for someone? More like being tortured by her own blood because he seemed to hate her guts. 

     "No, I'm just...waiting for my brother to text me." Her voice held a small crack which she internally cringed at. 

     She squinted her eyes as she could feel the boy beside her trying not to laugh. He wasn't making her feel better. He was just succeeding in making her like a joke. 

     Lotus childishly huffed, clenching her skirt. They went back into tranquillity. She looked up at the sky, letting it comfort her from her humiliation. 

     The sun that was now just below the horizon gave the void its last bits of shine. Everything was now dimmer, prompting the streetlights to turn on. That was the first sign she should be back home if it wasn't for—

     The gruff laugh of her brother echoed in the distance causing her to freeze and her mind to try to convince her that it wasn't him. A few more voices mingled with his, forming a full conversation that barely reached her ears. 

     She leaned forwards and looked down both sides of the street. Her breathing hitched as she saw a few familiar faces in the distance. Chance, Kenny, and his other friend with two more people whom she didn't know. The streetlights cast harsh shadows on them, causing them to look more like thugs than regular —albeit badly-behaved— high schoolers. 

     'Why are they in this part?' She panicked and jump from off the retaining wall.

     She looked around, visibly shaken. Her mind didn't take notice of Donald's beguiled simper. He looked down the direction she was looking before she started acting as if she were trapped and let out a sound of contemplation.