•Ballroom trope•

In the following imagine your a princess, attending your own ball that you're parents were throwing for you in order to find a husband. ;)
Oh and it's a masquerade ball

I was getting ready, putting on my perfume and looking in the mirror. I can do this. Breathe in and out.

I was wearing a beautiful black dress, because honestly fuck pink dresses. I wasn't in the mood to wear a pink dress either, finding a husband. Gosh what happens to all the meet cutes I read about in books? I don't want to search for love. I want love to find me. Maybe I am a hopeless romantic, but I'm a princess after all, chances where higher in finding true love than being a princess, no?

My best friend wanted to recreate the scenes you see in all princess movies, that's why all the guest are already downstairs waiting for me. And I was here, upstairs waiting for my bodyguard to give me a sign and walk me down the stairs.

„Princess, you ready?" He knocked at my door

„Yes-no. NO. My necklace, one minute"

„Fucking, argghh shit" I curse because after a minute of struggling my necklace still won't close

„Not very Princess-like words" I see my bodyguard behind me, with a smirk on his lips while he looks in the mirror, his eyes taking in my black dress.

„Just help me" I Hand him the necklace and he lifts his brows

„Please dear bodyguard" I give him a fake smile

„I'd be honored my princess" he goes behind me and I feel his cold fingers brushing the skin of my neck, sending a weird shiver down my spine.

„Ready to go?" he asks and looks at me, holding out his arm for me to grab

„I'll guess so" I breathe in and out before I see him tapping on his ear twice then saying „bird is ready to fly" and tapping again

The trumpets start to play and as soon as I open the door I see hundreds of people, wearing suits and all kind of ball gowns. I look down at all the stairs, here goes nothing.

I smile at all the people and slowly take on step after another. Then my dad announces my arriving
„Ladys and Gentlemen, my daughter y/n, l/n"

I wave at everyone, taking the last few steps. But then I trip over my own foot, damn these highheels. I already expect to hit the floor by any second, my princess moment ruined forever and replaced with pure embarrassment. But nothing happens. I open my eyes and look directly into h/n's. He smiles at me, only then I notice his strong hands holding me only a few inches above the ground.

I'm lost in the moment. Lost in his eyes for a moment, maybe a little bit too long. I hear my dad clear his throat in the background and immediately stand straight again. My cheeks start to heaten and everyone is acting like nothing happend. Typically for all the people here.

„Thank you all for coming and celebrating my birthday with me. I hope you all did not forget your masks at home because you're going to need them from now on. I wish you a lot of fun tonight" I say and smile as they all begin to applaud.

After that the Orchestra starts to play again. And I dance and dance and dance. Have small talk with so many men that I don't know. But no one seems to be the one. No one gives me butterfly's and I don't feel any king of attraction.

Next up is a tall guy with long blond hair, he doesn't look bad.
„y/n, I'm lord Godwin" he kisses my hand and we begin to dance slowly to the music. We have a little bit of small talk, I lost count after 20 men about how often I was asked if I enjoyed the night. Also lost count about how many times I lied. I hate it here.