38

-one week later-
"Haley," my mom whispered, shaking me awake.
"What?" I groaned. I had finally fallen asleep. Baby Richards had become very active, especially when I was trying to sleep.
"Honey, you have your pictures at noon. As soon as you get those taken, we can start planning your gender reveal slash baby shower."
"Fine. I'm up. I'll get ready," I replied, sitting up. Josh was going to have to start sleeping over here so he could get just as little sleep as I was.

I dialed his number quickly. "Good morning, sleepyhead."
"What time is it? Is something wrong? Is it you? Is it the baby?" he asked urgently.
Even though I was also exhausted, his exhaustion made me giggle a little. "I'm fine, baby. My mom just came and woke me up to get ready for our maternity session. Do you want to come to sit with me while I get ready?"
"Of course, love. I'll be right there," he replied, hanging up. I didn't even have a second to react before I heard a knock on the door downstairs.

"You don't have to knock, you silly boy. You've practically lived here since you were a kid. Besides, what are you gonna do? Get her pregnant again?" I heard my mom joke. I mean, she was right, but she could have said it in a better way.
"Good morning, babe," he said, appearing in my doorway. "You look beautiful, as always."
Even now, even after knowing him for my entire life, that comment still made me blush. "Thank you."
"No need to thank me for the truth," he replied, plopping down onto my bed as he watched me maneuver into the chair at my vanity table.

I began by straightening the unruly mass of hair that graced my head. "God, pregnancy has done nothing but turn my head into a wild nest of hair. I'm so over it," I groaned about halfway through. I could see the sweat, and my arms were growing tired quickly.
"Let me, baby," Josh suggested standing behind me. He expertly straightened the rest of the section, meeting my eyes in the mirror for approval.
"That almost made me start hoping for a girl," I said, granting him the approval that he was searching for. "You're too good to me."
"I avoided you for months, Hales. You've been by my side this entire time. Who is too good to who?"

We sat in a comfortable silence as he finished my hair, and he kissed me on the top of the head before going back to lay on my bed.
"Does my face look, I don't know, swollen to you?" I asked, examining my face in the mirror.
"I think that you look beautiful," he replied.
"That's not what I asked," I replied. "It just looks so weird to me right now. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just panicking."
"You are, my dear. Your face does not look swollen; it looks beautiful. These pictures are going to end up being phenomenal, and it's all because you're going to be in them." 

I struggled out of the chair to go to him, and he stopped me. "I'll come to you, my love." 
He made it to me, and he leaned down. "What did you need, dear?" 
"Just this," I responded, craning my neck to kiss him. "Alright, now, stop distracting me. I have got to get my makeup finished so that we make it on time, okay?" 
"Aye, aye, captain!" he responded, jokingly saluting me before sitting back down on my bed. 

I went simple with my makeup, opting for light coverage foundation and a little bit of blush and mascara. I turned to look at Josh on the bed. "How do I look?" I asked. 
"Beautiful as always, Hales," he replied. 
"Alright, sir," I began, struggling out of the chair again, "I am going to change, and I will meet you downstairs." 
I pulled on the pink maxi dress. Mom had said to wear whatever outfit that I wanted the bulk of our photos to be taken in, and I felt that this outfit went the best out of all three with the location that we had chosen. 

When I came down the stairs, Josh was waiting for me. His white button-up shirt had just the right amount of contrast with his blue eyes, and I can only imagine that our facial expressions mirrored one another's. 
"You look great," we both said simultaneously, breaking down into laughter. 
"Let's go, sweetie pie," Josh suggested, reaching out a hand to help me down the rest of the stairs. "We've got some fantastic pictures to go get. Do you have everything that you need?" 
I nodded. "Of course, I do, babe." 

We drove to the sunflower patch where we were planning on getting our first round of pictures taken. 
The photographer greeted us. "Hello, are you guys Josh and Haley?" 
Josh nodded. "That's us. Nice to meet you."
 "Alright, sweetie, let's get a few with just Mom first, okay? Go ahead and stand right here, okay? Perfect," she began, looking at me through her camera lens. "Okay, now go ahead and cradle your bump for me, turning a little bit to the side. Perfect! Hold that right there."

She continued to pose me, including a pose with one hand on my bump and another hand in my hair. 
"My mom said that you were really fun, but you're even more fun than I thought!" I noted. 
"Okay, loves, go ahead and pop in here, Dad. Face each other, but stagger just a little bit, kind of a shoulder to shoulder, and kiss her forehead for me. Hold that right there. Perfect."

She took a few more shots, and then she looked at us from behind the camera. "Okay, your mom gave me this sign, and she wants a couple of photos with it." 
When we finished up, I turned to the photographer again. "Thank you so much. We appreciate it more than you could ever know."

*Haley is not showing as much as in these photos, but these are the ideas that I'm thinking!*