32

"Why would you need me?" he asked. 
I sighed. "Can you please just come down here? It's really important." 
"I can't just leave. Have the clinic call Mr. Thomas, and I'll be there," he replied.
"Thank you. I'll see you soon."

I filled the doctor in, and she immediately made the phone call to Mr. Thomas. We sat in silence for a few minutes until there was a knock on the door. "Hi, doc, I have a Josh Richards that says he was called to come down here by Haley Reynolds. Should I let him in?" 
The doctor looked to me for confirmation, and I nodded. "Let him in," she told the nurse. 

I felt my body begin to shake slightly, and my palms were sweating. I was about to face him for the first time in a long time, and the news that I had for him was big, bigger than any news we had ever shared with one another. 
"Are you okay?" he asked. "What's going on? Why did you need me?" 
"Mr. Richards, have a seat," the doctor said, motioning to a chair next to the exam bed. "Haley has some news that she would like to share with you." 

I felt the tears stinging my eyes, and my voice caught in the back of my throat. "I, uh, I'm really scared, Josh," I began, picking at my fingers while avoiding eye contact. "What I'm about to tell you does not have to affect you in any way, but I do need for you to know. That much, at the very least, is important to me." A single tear slipped down my cheek, and he instinctively reached up to wipe it away, pulling back at the last second. 
"What is it?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper. 
I choked out a sob. "I'm pregnant. And, um, it's yours." 

"There's no way," he shook his head. Denial. Great.
I nodded. "You're the only person that I've slept with."
"You're playing some kind of joke on me so that we can talk again. That's really fucked up, Hales." 
"Mr. Richards, I can ensure you that Miss Reynolds is not playing some sort of joke on you," the doctor interjected. 
"Fuck," he muttered. "I, uh, I can't talk about this right now. God, what am I supposed to do with this information?" 

Josh left the exam room, presumably to head back to class, and I repositioned myself on the table to lay back and stare at the ceiling. "Can you call my mom now, please?" I asked before letting the sobs overtake my being. I had promised her that we had been so careful, and now, I was getting ready to tell her that I was pregnant. 
I listened to the doctor talk to my mom on the phone. "Hi, Ms. Reynolds. This is is Dr. Smith from the clinic over at the high school. I have your daughter, Haley, here with me. She's not feeling very well, and I was wondering if you would mind coming in to discuss some of the things that are going on with her. Yes, of course. And you can be here in about ten minutes? Absolutely. Thank you so much. Yes. We will see you soon," she said before hanging up. "Alright, honey, I can help you talk to your mom, but right now, I'm going to let you have a moment to yourself, okay? I know that this is a lot for you to take in. I'll be right outside if you need anything."

As soon as the door latched, I felt the tears rush. They were warm as they ran down my cheeks, and I could taste their saltiness. Why couldn't I win? This wasn't supposed to happen. 
Besides that, why did Josh leave when I told him? Why didn't he stay? If he thinks that he's struggling with this, he should look at it from my point of view. 

There was a knock on the door before the doctor opened it, and as I made eye contact with my mom, the floodgates completely opened. "Mom, I'm so sorry. I love you so much, and I'm sorry that I disappointed you. I never meant to disappoint you," I sobbed. 
"Whoa, whoa, calm down, my love. What are you rambling about?" she asked, wrapping me in her arms. The last time that she had hugged me while I was sobbing like this, my dad had left and never turned back. Oh, God. What if that was the future that my children would have to endure? 
I looked at the doctor, nodding for her to tell my mom. I couldn't bring myself to say it out loud again. 

"Ms. Reynolds, would you have a seat, please? I don't know if this is something that we should talk about while you're standing up." 
Mom sat down. "What are we talking about? Can one of you fill me in, please?" she asked, looking back and forth between the two of us.  "I don't understand what's going on." 
"Haley came in with some interesting symptoms, so we decided to do some tests. Ms. Reynolds, Haley is pregnant. Now, she has some-" the doctor was saying, but my mom interrupted her. 
"Haley is what?"

I leaned on her, feeling a little run down. "Mom, I'm so sorry," I whispered. "I told Josh, but he left. I don't understand why he left. This wasn't supposed to happen. Why does this keep happening?" 
I sniffled into her shoulder, and she stroked my hair gently. "I know, sweetie. Let's go home. We'll talk about this when you're ready."
"I don't deserve you, Mom. You're the best mom that I could have ever asked for. I love you. I can only hope that I could be half of the mom that you are someday," I sobbed. "Thank you for loving me."

"Shh," she whispered. "Don't you dare think for a second that you don't deserve the best. Let's go home, okay? You need to rest."