The Old Guy

Sage and I head downstairs. Fully dressed.

Emerson runs over to me and grabs onto my hand while reaching up with the other. I pick him up and carry him.

"Do you like your haircut?" I ask him.

It looks a lot better than before.

He nods his head yes.

"The old guy wants to meet you by the way. He is at base. I think he works for you now-"

"Sage. Now that Sage is better he's back in charge," I quickly correct Marcello.

"Right. My bad," he glances at Sage who's head stays down, "He works for Sage now. He wanted to speak with you though. I assume to thank you."

"Okay. I will head over there now."

I kiss Sage goodbye and wave bye to the others.

Emerson, not surprisingly, didn't want to leave my side.

***

I sit in an office behind a desk. The old man sits on the other side. He doesn't look as old as before. Maybe somewhere around forty five years old.

"I wanted to formally introduce myself to you. I am Rodrigo Alvarez. I am forty six," admit it on year off, "years old."

"Nice to meet you Rodrigo. I am Baylor. This is Emerson," Emerson doesn't look at the guy.

"The Mafia Queen," Rodrigo says in astonishment, "That's quite impressive."

"Not anymore. Sage is healthy and back in power. I am just his girlfriend now."

"Either way. I just wanted to thank you for saving me. It means the world. I hate to do this after you saved my life but I need to ask a favor."

Uh oh. Favors are never good. Sage always told me that.

"Okay. No promises I will do it."

"Understandable," he clears his throat, "Twelve years ago when I thirty three, I was forced into a trap and then put into the American compounds prison. Thirteen years ago I had tricked the Russian mafias boss into a deal that ended with me as the new leader of the Russian Mafia no matter what. The Russians however did not like that or me. They did not do anything to me themselves because they were not allowed but they tipped the Americans off letting them kidnap me. Now that I am free I should be able to take over again."

Woah. I think through everything he has said.

"So what do you want from me?" I already know.

"I would like your help getting my position back in the Russian Mafia," he states as if it will be easy.

"How do I know you are not just tricking me like you did the Russian boss? How can I trust you?" I hold Emerson closer to me.

I don't like this guy. He could have endless information after working for us for a couple weeks now. He could be trying to take the power from Sage. He called me in here but he thought I was still in charge.

"I have no way to prove it to you," he says simply.

"I'll get back to you on your favor. Stay here. I have a friend who will be here soon to interrogate you."

I walk out and call Nat first.

"Hey Baylor! Calling to finally get that drink together?" Nat picks up almost immediately.

"I wish! I actually wanted you to interrogate the old guy. He claims his name is Rodrigo Alvarez but I am going to have Beck do some research. I can text you updates as he gets information while you are in there."