Hero

The main entrance is near the east side of the building. I sprint down the west stair case. The keys dangle in my hand.

I sprint down what feels like a thousand stairs before I reach the bottom.

I am out of breath and need to find the boy and the old man.

As I run down the hall I here a voice, "Come back already?"

It's the man!

I take the keys and unlock his cell.

"Start going up the steps. I will be with you shortly."

I sprint away as he is saying thank you.

I search for the boy. Running down the hall.

I finally find him sitting in the same spot as before.

I unlock the cell and he just stairs at me.

"Come here," I open my arms for him.

He says nothing and doesn't move.

"I am trying to save you from the Americans. I will help you find your family," I plead for him to hurry.

He slowly gets up and walks over to me. I scoop him up and begin to run towards the steps. The old man is already halfway up.

"Come on," I tell him. "The men just got back. We can't be caught."

He nods and keeps moving. I stay behind him.

When we get to the top I pull out the gun that Beck gave me just in case. I slowly open the door and look both ways.

No one is there. I sprint for the exit door. Fifty feet away.

Forty.

Thirty.

Twenty five.

Twenty.

Ten.

A man suddenly walks in front of the door and see us.

He begins to shoot at us. I run back and forth and hope the man in front of me doesn't get hit.

We are close enough the he could easily shoot any of us.

I hear a louder gunshot than the rest and freeze in place. So does the man. I look around only to see the man in front of us fall. Natalia runs towards us from behind.

The man stands up again and aims at Natalia but she doesn't see him.

"I order you as Mafia King to stand down!" I yell at him.

He freezes. Natalia turns and looks at him.

"In Sages absence I am Mafia King. You shall listen to my orders or you and your entire family will be killed," I don't recognize my own voice.

He drops his weapons and backs away from the  door.

We walk out with Natalia watching the man closely.

We sprint to the car and help the man in. There are not enough seats in the car. The driver sits in the front with Sage in shot gun. Beck and Natalia sit in the right seat, the man in the middle, and me and the boy in the left seat.

"Guests?" Natalia questions.

"The man too?" Beck questions.

I don't respond. I just cry.

The little boy wipes my tears from my face and tucks his head into my chest.

I smile and do my best to stop crying.

"Yes. The man too."

Sage

I wake up in bed. In my bed. Not in an interrogation room. Not in the American Mafias base. In my bed. With Baylor next to me. All my cuts are bandaged.

I look at the bags under Baylors eyes and the red, puffiness around her eyes. I decide to let her keep sleeping.

I'm going to need to know how she pulled this one off and if she now knows that she is basically the heir to the Mafia King if I die.

I smile to myself at the thought of her in charge. She would bring hell on everyone.

I tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear before falling back asleep.

***

"What did I say?" Baylor yells.

"You said-"

"If you can repeat it then I obviously didn't stutter. Go. Now. I want the doctor in here now to check up on Sage," Baylors yells at one of my soldiers who looks scared as hell of her.

"Yes, ma'am."

She is so hot when she's mad. Holy fuck.

"Love," my voice comes out scratchy.

Baylor freezes. Her back is facing me.

When she doesn't turn I say it again, "Love."

This time she turns around. Her eyes aren't puffy anymore but she still has bags under them.

"Sage," she whispers before sprinting over to me.

She plants a kiss on my forehead and cheek and then my lips.

"What happened?" I ask her as I pull her onto my lap.

"Am I hurting you? I can stand or just lay next to you," she starts to move off of me.

I hold her in place and tuck her into my chest. She wraps her arms around me.

"I was so scared Sage," she whispers to me. "I thought you were dead. I thought I was going to have to be Mafia King or Queen or whatever alone."

My heart aches from her pain. "You will never be alone, love. I will always come back to you. No matter what."

She is quiet for a long moment.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Bay."

She sighs.

"It's a long story-" she starts right when the doctor walks in.

"Oh, he's awake! I'll just check his vitals and then I will be out of your way," the doctor tells us.

I am impatient as he slowly checks everything and writes it down. I want to be alone with Baylor.

When he finally leave the room Baylor continues.

"As I was saying. It's a long story but basically: I woke up and you weren't next to me. I remembered what happened and immediately knew something was wrong. Beck told me you were busy with business but I know you better than that. You would have been right next to me if I was hurt. So Beck finally told me and also told me I was King Mafia or Queen. I like King better though. Anyway, I made a plan and we saved you. Also a little boy and an old man."

I take in her words for a moment.

"A little boy? And an old man?"