Tough Crowd

I wake up to the smell of pancakes and the sound of sausage sizzling on the stove. I walk downstairs still in my pajamas.

"Dad had to go to work but I made breakfast for us!"

"Thank you, mom!" I smile as we eat and talk about how she 'never liked Jack anyway'.

I know that's a lie because they always made food together. She also loved movie nights with Jack. My tears well up at the thought.

I set my fork down, "I am going to go dance. I'll be back later."

"Ok, honey. Be safe and have fun! I love you!" my mom yells as I run out the door.

"I love you too!"

***

I head in to work and dance all day. I make a lot of money.

I between dances the men talk to me.

"Hey pretty girl," a middle aged man begins taking to me.

"Hello," I smile at him.

"You looked very good up there."

"Thank you! I have been practicing for a long time," I blush at the compliment.

"Your outfit was very nice as well," he compliments me again.

"Thank you, sir."

Another man asked me for a private dance but I told him that I don't think our studio does that.

As it gets later more men come in. I make lots of money and new friends. The men were all very kind to me. They have me plenty of wonderful compliments on my dancing, my face, and my body. They are all so supportive of me career. I really like working here.

When I head home my family is already asleep so I just head right to bed.

***

I decide not to return to school. My mom continues to homeschool me. I continue to work almost every night of the week.

I make a lot of money through our all of the weeks I have been working and put it all in my bank account. I have made a couple of friends at work. Their are a couple men who are very kind and very complimentary of me. I talk to them every time they are there.

One of them gives me a lot of money. His name is Ben. I am currently in between shifts. I sit next to him at the bar.

"So is this how you plan on spending your life?" he asks.

"No, I want to go to college. I am saving up the money to go," I explain to him.

"Oh, what do you want to study?"

"I am not sure yet. I kinda want to go to a art school for dancing."

We talk for a while. He is probably around thirty five. He has blonde hair that is combed. His eyes are blue and he is a good looking older man. He would be a good dad. Well not that my dad isn't good. I wasn't meaning that.

"I am going to be bringing my business partners here soon. I want you to meet them. Maybe you would want to come work for us instead," he winks at me.

"Oh I am perfectly happy here-" Ben cuts me off. He puts a hand on my waist which makes me a little uncomfortable.

"We would make sure you are very happy with us," he whispers in my ear.

I squirm a little in my seat as he gets up and leaves. Maybe he is just being extra nice. He has a weird way of showing it.

I get up and get ready for my next dance.