4. Enzo

June 29, 2020

A soft whimper woke me in the middle of the night and I looked towards the side where Declan was and saw his brows pinched and his bottom lip jutted in a pout as he whimpered again. I gently pulled his little body towards mine and began rubbing soothing circles on his back. He instantly calmed down as he cuddled in my arms. It's been a week since Jenna left him and Declan has been having reoccurring dreams almost every night since. I think he knows that his mother won't be coming back.

It hasn't been easy but my mom and Bailey have been very supportive and have been helping as much as they can with him. But I know that my time here is coming to an end and I hate to have to leave Declan so soon. Especially when he was getting used to the fact that his mother abandoned him and his father has been absent for three years. Though my enlistment ends in three months, I'm going to just do it now. I'll just have to get in contact with my superiors to let them know of the recent events. I was supposed to be home for only three weeks before I had to get back to Afghanistan to finish my duties.

I pressed my lips to his forehead and confirmed rubbing his back to get him to fall back to sleep which didn't take long as I felt his soft breath on my neck as he slept.

The day after Declan was left with me, I did what I had told my mother and got a paternity test done and the results came back positive. Jenna was telling the truth about him being mine. Even if he wasn't, I was going to raise him as best as I could. I know that I shook tell the police but what good what that do? All it would cause was more stress and anxiety in Declan who was already suffering from the stress of being in a new place with new people after living with his mother for all three years of his life.

I never understood how a child can change a person's life so suddenly until he was left on my arms last week. But damn, were people right about that saying; a child changes your life in a ways you never thought possible.

Declan—despite only being with me for a week has changed not just my life but that of my sister and mother. He's truly a beautiful little boy with big blue-green eyes that he took after his mother while he's got my nose and everything else.

I sighed and decided to sleep for I'll have be up again in a few hours to get him ready for the day.

****

"Where are you going in such a hurry?" I asked Bailey as she practically chugged her OJ down and stuffed her mouth with food. She's not usually up this early on a Saturday so seeing her up and dressed was surprising.

"Didn't I tell you that I was meeting with Bella today?" She asked and I furrowed my brows trying to remember who this Bella girl was. She rolled her eyes at my look and began to recount the events of the week before. Bella had been the girl that she head met on her run to the cafe in town. Apparently they were the same age and the girl and her family only lived a few houses down from ours.

"Oh right," I nodding my head after she mentioned that she and said girl had made plans for today to go to the mall, "how are you going to get there? Last time I checked you're car was at the mechanics,"

"Damn it,"she grumbled as she just realized that herself making me shake my head as Declan giggled from his high chair. "I'll have to see if she can drive."

She pulled her phone out and quickly dialed a number and putting it to her ear. I liked at Declan and smiled. "You're aunty is silly isn't she?"

He only gave me a toothy grin in reply as I continued to feed him his breakfast, "She can't get a ride. Her whole family is at work," Bailey said as she put her phone on her chest and looked at me, "would you be able to give us one?"

I sighed and nodded making her smile, "You're lucky the park is in the same direction of the mall."

"Thank you, thank you," she said as she had ene as kiss on the cheek before turning back to her phone call. "My brother said he'll give us a ride." A few seconds of silence went by as the girl on the other end replied before Bailey hung up.

Once Declan was done with his breakfast, I took the plate to the sink and rinsed it before putting it into the dishwasher.

"What time will mom be home?" I asked as I got Declan ready to go while also getting Blade's leash.

"2," my sister replied as she put her shoes on, grabbed her coat, phone and purse. I nodded before doing the same before ushering her, carrying Declan and calling Blade to follow us out of the house before locking the door up.

"Alright, you'll have to show me where she lives,"I said once Declan and Blade were strapped in and she nodded, "and why are you sitting in the backseat?"

"It's rude to have a friend-stranger sit in the backseat specially when there's a dog," she said in a matter of fact tone making me look at her through the rear view mirror before shaking my head and pulling out of the driveway. "Her house is the one with the cute little garden out front. Next to the Morris's." She said as she pointed to the right house before texting her new friend that we were out front.

A second later the most beautiful girl came out and I swear I felt my heart stop for a split second as she walked out of her house and locking it up behind her. She was wearing a navy blue jumper with black leggings and white TOMS. Her hair was a light shade of browns with dark highlights throughout it. She was absolutely stunning. Bailey climbed out of the car and gave her a hug making the girl, Bella, smile and return the hug. And fuck, her smile was just as beautiful as her.

I heard the front passenger door open and saw Bella sheepishly looking at me. "Hi,"she greeted.

"Hi," I replied as she climbed in.

"You two are so awkward," Bailey spoke up from the back, "aren't they, Dec?" Declan only squealed and giggled from his car seat making me chuckle.

"Sorry," I apologized before driving down the street towards the main road. "Bailey said that you and her met at the cafe in town?"

"Uh yeah," she replied before recounting how Bailey had randomly walked up to her table and asked if she could sit with her—which is something my sweet little sister would do. She was that kind, but sometimes her kindness backfires on her and she's left heartbroken. But for some reason I have a feeling that this girl, this outrageously gorgeous girl would never take my sister's kindness for granted. And don't ask me why I think that, because I don't, it's just a feeling in my gut that's telling me Bella and Bailey will be beat forense for a very long time.

"Bailey said you're in the Marines?" Bella asked and I nodded, "how long have you been in it,if you don't mind me asking?"

"6 years next month." I replied

"Oh wow, that's a long time," she answered making Bailey snort, and she turned to look at her "what? It's true. You said he was 18 when he joined right?"

"Recently turned 18," I confirmed while my sister nodded,

"which means you're what 23/24 years old?"she asked looks at me.

"Turning 24 next month," I said and so that's how the remainder of our ride was spent all three of us talking about everything and anything until we reached the mall, "Alright, we have arrived at your destination,"

"Thank you," Bella said as she climbed out of the car and waited for Bailey to join her which she did a few seconds later after saying,

"Take your time with her," I looked at her confused but before I could question her, she was out of the car and heading inside with Bella beside her laughing at something my sister said. I shook my head before turning the car back on drive and pulling out of the parking lot of the mall.

Bailey's words playing over in my head. What did she mean with that?