You Don't Want To Be Like Them

Alec was sat at his desk, looking over his work schedule for the week but found he couldn't focus. He had read the same text from his boss at least a dozen times, and yet nothing stayed in his head. He groaned and lay his head on his desk.

"You ok in there?" The young hunter asked from the other side of the door.

"I have no idea," Alec said honestly. Nolan gently opened the door and sat on Alec's double bed.

"Can I help?" Nolan asked.

"No idea." He repeated.

"Alec, I don't have superhuman senses, so I can't just smell what you're feeling. You'll have to tell me." He reminded him.

"Benhasn'ttextedmetoday." Alec said, words coming out altogether.

"What?"

"Ben. Hasn't. Texted. Me. Today." Alec repeated much slower this time.

"Ahh. The guy with green eyes."

"Emerald." Alec clarified.

"Right, yes. Emerald. Have you tried texting him?" He asked.

"Yeah, but he hasn't replied. Not in a couple of days." Alec sighed.

"Mind lifting your head so I can hear you better?"

Alec sighed but lifted his head, meeting Nolan's eyes. "I texted him, but he hasn't answered in a couple of days."

Nolan nodded. "Have you tried going to see him in person? It's what people used to do in the olden days without cell phones." He joked.

"Too embarrassing. Makes me seem desperate."

"Well, you do seem to be acting desperate." He pointed out.

"But only you know I'm acting desperate." He countered.

"Ok, but what if you asked Theo if he was alright? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about him?"

"That could work."

"Yeah, so do that."

Alec nodded and unlocked his phone. He looked for Theo's contact and texted him.

"Anything else I can help with?" Nolan asked somewhat sarcastically.

"Make me a sandwich?" Alec asked, voice hopeful.

Nolan sighed. "What kind?"

"Cheese?"

"Fine. One cheese sandwich coming up." Nolan said, getting up and heading to the kitchen. Man, I'm glad I'm not obsessed with anyone . He grabbed the bread from the counter, a plate and took the cheese from the fridge. He cut the cheese, placed it on the bread, and cut it into triangles like his mom had done when he was little. "Alec." He called. He pulled out his phone and checked the group chat. He checked both the main pack chat as well as the puppy pack one. No new messages from either one. Nolan couldn't tell if that was a good thing or not. He sighed and wrote a message to the puppy pack.

Everyone ok?

Just about to eat a delicious sandwich made with love <3 Alec had texted. Nolan rolled his eyes fondly.

All good, here Corey said.

And I'm fine Mason said.

Mason, and Corey are at mine. I'm good. Liam sent.

Doing just dandy. Bout to take a shower. Theo replied.

Hey, Theo. Why won't you answer my texts?" Liam sent.

Just didn't.

Nolan took a deep breath. He was glad that everyone was ok and that Theo was at least replying to Liam's text on the group chat. He knew their relationship had been a topic of contention lately. Liam was worried that something was going on with Theo while Mason and Corey tried to convince him that there was nothing to worry about. Nolan, himself didn't really have an opinion either way. He supposed that Theo might have been being colder to the group, but it was also possible that Liam was being paranoid. Then again, it was also possible that Liam was right, and the rest of them weren't being paranoid enough. On the other hand, Alec didn't seem to care much at all. It wasn't that he didn't care about Theo so much as that he thought that Theo could take care of himself. That all being said, they all knew the reason for Liam being worried was less so about Theo becoming pre-hell Theo and more about Theo getting hurt by perfect strangers. Emotional or otherwise.

"Food!" Alec said, entering the kitchen and sitting at the table.

"Get anything from Theo yet?" Nolan asked.

"Nothing yet. The man takes long-ass showers." Alec replied, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"I still think you should just go and ask him out. You obviously like him. You don't want to be like Theo and Liam, do you? Just waiting for years for the other person to say how they feel?"

Alec sighed. "That's probably a good point. I'll go see him after I finish eating."

"Good, don't forget to fuel up the car."

"Yes, mom."

----------

"Hey, you busy?" Ben heard a voice ask. He looked up to see Alec standing between the trees with both hands buried in his pockets. Ben smiled.

"Not really. What are you doing here?" He asked.

Alec shrugged. "Just wanted to see you." He smiled.

"Wanna go for a coffee or something?" Ben asked. "I just have to let my pack know."

"Sure." Alec grinned.

"Cool," Ben said before entering the house to let Megan and Isaac know he'd be stepping out for a bit.