The Airport Pickup

When Stiles got off the plane, he was greeted by the image of three of his friends waiting for him with a sign displaying his name.

"Welcome home, Stiles." Malia said, wrapping her arms around him.

"Thanks, Mal." He said, hugging her back.

"It's been way too long, Stiles." Lydia said, pulling him in for a hug as Malia let go.

"Honestly, Lydia. It hasn't been that long. I was here just a few months ago." He reminded her. He turned to look at Derek and grinned. "Sourwolf! Nice to see you, buddy! You miss me?" He asked with a mischievous look in his eye. Derek rolled his eyes but gave a small smile regardless.

"It's nice to see you survived, Stiles. Any more toe shootings?" He asked.

"Nah, no strong wolves to help me out either." Stiles shrugged, then hesitated. He wasn't sure if it would be a good idea or not to hug the werewolf. He wanted to, but it had been a long time since they had last seen each other, and Derek had never been the touchy-affectionate type. He decided against it but was surprised when Derek clapped a hand to his upper back. Stiles felt his heart skip as Derek squeezed the back of his neck. He blushed slightly and cleared his throat. "So, let's get my luggage?" He asked. The group nodded and walked towards the luggage carousel, Derek's hand falling from Stiles' neck. He tried not to feel disappointed from the lack of touch, knowing that Malia and Derek would both be able to smell it. He walked over and reached towards his suitcase but saw a strong arm grab it before he did. He looked up to see that Derek was now placing it on the floor and pulling up the handle. Derek gave him a small smile, and Stiles once again felt his heart skip. "Thanks." He muttered. Derek nodded. Stiles moved to pick up his carry on that he had placed on the floor, but Malia swiped for it.

"No way, Stiles. There's no way you're carrying your luggage. That's why we," She cocked her head towards her cousin. "Are here."

Stiles nodded. "Thank you, guys." He said appreciatively as his back was starting to hurt from the uncomfortable plane ride.

"Sure, thing. Now, come on. The car's this way," Lydia said, walking towards the elevator. The three others followed behind as Lydia pressed the button for the first floor.

"So, any interesting homicides?" Malia asked excitedly. Stiles chuckled.

"No, Mal, I already told you. I'm mostly just on desk duty." Stiles sighed sadly.

"Haven't you been there for about four years now?" Lydia asked.

"Five." Stiles and Derek answered. Stiles looked back at the man. He hadn't known that Derek had actually remembered how long he'd been gone. He felt touched that he had remembered such an inconsequential fact. Derek cleared his throat and avoided Stiles' eyes.

"Not a lot of advancement potential in the FBI as far as I can tell. Ironically, they seem to play favourites." Stiles said after a minute.

"How is that ironic?" Malia asked.

"Because it's not like he actually would get the promotions there, whereas here, he probably would. It's not like Jordan has made sergeant yet or anything." Lydia said, the last part coming out bitter. She stopped when she realized what she had said. Stiles' and her eyes met.

" Why do you guys keep looking at each other like that? Are you getting back together?" Malia asked.

" No!" Stiles and Lydia exclaimed in unison.

"Damn, ok. I was just checking." Malia muttered under her breath. "Why does he want the promotion anyway? He'd have to work more hours."

"The pay increase, so he can move out of his apartment." Lydia replied.