32 - let me

*A/N: this chapter contains content that may be triggering to some readers

*A/N: this chapter contains content that may be triggering to some readers. Please read at your own risk!!*

A party tonight sounded like a good way to finally unwind and relax. All I wanted was to hang out with Avrey, enjoy a couple drinks and laugh a bit.

Was that so wrong to want?

I shiver in the chilly night air, waiting for Hayden to show up. I sniffle, wiping my wet nose with the back of my hand. I swallow a hiccup, trying not to cry anymore.

I was so tired of this.

Why me?

I don't understand why it had to be me. And at this point? I'd do anything to make it all end and just...let go.

Squealing tires made me look up, blinking into the night. Headlights blinded me, but once the door swung open, I felt an instant wave of relief wash over me when Hayden stepped out.

He was running towards me, slowing down once he got close enough to the table. Then his eyes look me over and he pauses.

He takes a slow step towards me, his hands raising a bit. I wince—an uncontrollable reaction—which makes him completely stop.

I swallow, turning my body towards him. I stand up from the bench and look at the floor, shame washing over me.

But Hayden was quick to gently cup my cheek and guide my eyes to his. He gave me a sad, small smile and wrapped his arms around my body.

And even though my body ached, I melted into his touch.

I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling the tears burning behind them as I fisted his shirt, holding onto him for dear life.

"Come on, baby," he quietly says. "Let's get you out of here."

"Can we-can we just go somewhere alone. Not your place. Just..."

I feel him nod, gently rubbing my back. "Yes, of course. Whatever you want."

Once he gently guided me into the car, we drove in silence to the nearest motel. Hayden was kind enough to pay for the room for us for the night, even though we didn't have anything with us.

I just needed to be away from everything.

And once I walked into the dimly lit room, I felt mentally and physically exhausted. Drained.

Tired of fighting.

I was so tired, I didn't even notice when Hayden left and came back, holding up a blue hoodie towards me. I look at him, Hayden just giving me a small, kind smile.

"I don't have much," he chuckles. "But I have this you can wear, once you shower."

Instead of taking it, I walk towards him and wrap my arms around him. I close my eyes, taking comfort in his embrace. And once he wrapped his arms around me, I felt myself falling into him.