12 - aftermath

I was in complete shock

The aftermath of the tornado was actually scary. Like, insanely scary.

My house was lucky not to have damage like some of the ones in my neighborhood. Trees uprooted and tossed, roofs in other peoples lawns, cars smashed...it was all like a movie—one I didn't wanna believe.

The only thing we're experiencing is no power, which is lucky compared to some of the other people down the block.

But, even though it was cold, having no power meant being super hot and awkward family interactions.

"Do you think we should go see if they need any help down the road?" Mom asks, fanning herself.

"The hell would you do that for? They got enough help."

I glare at Roy, shaking my head.

"Some people aren't shitty human beings, that's why."

"Alina, you know better than that."

I roll my eyes. "He deserved it."

"That's enough of that, young lady."

I let go of a frustrated breath and rose to my feet. "I'm gonna head to Av's. Need a shower and cool air."

Mom was protesting, but I still left. I walk down the road, waiting until my message to Avery actually sent before I locked my phone.

Lifting my eyes, my heart sinks at all the debris that clutters around the roads. I kept walking, seeing a group of people down at the end of the block. They're hauling stuff from the back of the truck out, and I peek around to see if I can stop someone.

"Excuse me," I grab the attention of an older woman. "I live just up the block and I was wondering if you would like any help?"

"Oh," she smiles at me. "Aren't you just the sweetest thing? You live up the block, you say?"

"Yeah," I smile. "Uh, I'm up at 819."

"Well," she dusts her hands off. "I'm normally 835, but it's a bit of a mess at the moment." She chuckles. "But it's fine, sweetheart. We have the church that's helping us, and Red Cross on their way now."

"Are you sure? I really don't mind sticking around for a bit to help."

"Who's this, mom?"

The woman turns, revealing a teenage-looking kid from behind her.

"Kye, this is..." she turns to me.

"I'm Lina," I offer an awkward wave.

"This is Lina. She was kind enough to ask if we needed her help."

I note the similarities between the two, clearly indicating that they are related. The woman has dark red hair, green eyes and high cheekbones. The guy has dark brown hair, the same green eyes and a broader face. But they have the same broad shoulders.