The Final Trial

"Jesus!" Luna sat up so quickly that Morgan felt the draft from her ascent. "You're awake! Thank god, you had been sleeping for almost two days." "Two days? I was hoping for never seeing daylight again." Morgan got up and closed the infirmary blinds. She sighed before turning around to meet Luna's grey eyes. "What's wrong Morgana?" The silvered-hair witch looked away and spoke, "Has Ariana ever used dark magic?" Luna became astonished by the question. Ariana wouldn't hurt a fly, much less commit the dark sins of witchcraft. "No, never. I hope that this remains a question and nothing further. She would be incapable of-", Luna was interrupted by Morgan. "She slaughtered everyone in the camp and used Puppeteering. If anything that witch is capable of what you don't even know." Luna summoned the pitcher of orange juice, bringing it up to her mouth. With beautiful control and grace, she took a gulp and sat it back down. "Listen I think you're overreacting. Ariana was probably pissed off, right? At least if she did go on a murder spree it was on a bunch of falsely righteous assholes, of whom were hellbent on eradicating witch-world." Morgan shook her head slowly. "I thought you would be wiser as a future leader." Before Luna could respond, Ariana came bursting through the doors, "What's cracking my sister from another mister." Luna laughed at that stupid phrase her friend said. Despite hearing it a billion times, its ring was missed in her ear after being abducted, hunted, and almost killed. "I've been better." The cheerful atmosphere the infirmary room once implored, was replaced by a serious ambiance. The twins, whom last seen were at Luna's house came to deliver another message. "As a penalty for attempting to escape, the final trial date has been reinstated for today. You are to report in two hours to the lake. Failure to arrive and we will hunt you down and kill you." The twins simultaneously marched out of her room, leaving an awkward silence to take over. "We have a lake?!" Morgan chuckled and responded, "Yes we do. Now come on you need to get ready."

It was such a sudden change, from hospital bed to the windy, cloudy outside. The three witches: Morgan, Ariana, and Luna, walked with posture. All of them were alert and observing, wondering what could this challenge bring. Morgan herself was baffled. Usually the final test is a demonstration of power, and perhaps this was the same, however this was done differently. They had approached the lake's shore, a windy and cool area compared to the hot, humidity of the July day. The water of the lake was beautifully grey, as it reflected the grey colour of the sky. Small waves littered the water around the shore that was surrounded by trees and grass. "Ms. Lumen, I hope you're prepared for this test. It will dictate whether you are fit for the position as high chancellor of The Order. This lake was created by Tituba, the first Caribbean witch in what was the Massachusetts Bay colony. The goal was to hide a charm, or specifically and enchanted necklace made of shark teeth and Arawak markings," said Grandmaster Dawson. Ariana interrupted and asked, "What's the point of finding the necklace?" The grandmaster looked at Ariana sternly, "As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, the necklace allows you to resurrect those from the dead, as well as the control over celestial and demonic creatures. It's like the bible of witchcraft. Obtaining this necklace will no doubt give you great power, but the ability to bring back loved ones." Luna took off her shirt and pants to expose the bathing suit underneath. "Let's do this!" With determination and bravado she dived into the lake, making her way to the charm. "Well I hope she survives," said Dawson.

Luna made her way to the surface for air. The lack of oxygen wasn't helping her search, especially with the charm being at the bottom of the lake. "Lamellae," she casted. The excruciating pain of skin opening overtook her body. Where her neck met her face, 3 slits on each side opened. Her chest compressed and lungs that once breathed oxygen now took in water. She had gills, temporarily. The ability to breathe underwater proved beneficial. Only minutes later of swimming was a structure revealed. As Luna got closer she saw pillars and carved stones. The ground had changed from sandy and rocky to a flat platform made of stone. Each platform was separated by stairs that led up to them. This must be where it's at, Luna thought. Suddenly the most beautiful song was sung. It's melody was wonderful and its tone pitch-perfect. This, however made Luna sleepy. Her eyes became heavy and no matter how much she tried to keep them open, she succumbed to peaceful slumber.

"What the hell is that?" The question screamed throughout the halls of The Order's headquarters. A large object came smashing into the building killing all those on the affected floor and shattering the windows of all the near floors. The thundering boom of collision attracted the attention of those at the lake. "Did you hear that," Ariana asked. "Who didn't." Morgan and the twins began sprinting to the large towering building and were soon followed by Dawson and Ariana. The interstate was completely empty, with usually passing of cars gone and the arrival of RVs.

"The great massacre is today; you'll all rot in hell," screamed David from the top of his lungs. Dawson, tired and breathing heavily, stopped running. "Forget this exercising bullshit," he mumbled as a crack of lighting struck him from the sky, vanishing. With another display of lightning that stuck in front of the headquarters, Dawson appeared. "You think teleporting scares me. I'll make sure I kill you all, magic or none at all," yelled David. "What a fucking idiot! You think that your merry band of mortals can destroy the most advanced order of witches and mages." David was prepared for war. His body was covered in full body armour and a riot shield gripped in his hand. He had guns strapped all over and a throwing knives on his shoulder. He charged at Dawson, but was welcomed with a burst of fire. The shield became incredibly hot, in fact unbearable to hold up. Dawson stopped casting and, once noticing his shield was down, jabbed David in the stomach. This jab made David go airborne, landing about 30m away. However, despite the fact that the leader was down, this only infuriated the other hunters leading to a massive assault. The interstate, along with the beautiful field in front of the headquarters, became a battlefield littered with human and witch blood.