Chapter 15

Narrator's POV:

The doctors finally let the Baker's in to see the young fair haired girl and she's hooked up to all these wires.

I look around and see darkness. everything is dark. "where am I?" you asked. "maddison!" two half rotten bodies jumped out at you. "god! I don't even know who you are. just leave me alone!" "have we changed that much?" the woman asks the man mockingly. "no. surely you couldn't forget the people you KILLED!" the man cackles with laughter at the look on your face. "what? I never killed anyone." you whispered. "sure you did!" the woman chimed in, "you killed us maddison. your mommy and daddy." she gave you a sickly sweet smile. "I never meant to. I didn't mean to hurt anyone." you muttered. "shame." your 'mother' pouted. "because you did." "no." you said in disbelief. "you killed us!" "no." "you killed the Bakers!" "no!" "you killed poor little jakey!" "NO! I didn't! you're lying!" you shouted. "look for yourself." your 'father' motioned behind him. you saw a grave for each of the Bakers. you walked along, tears falling from your eyes like a waterfall, until you saw jake. however he wasn't in a grave, he was watching the sunrise at the top of the hill. "jake!" you ran up to him and engulfed him in a hug as soon as he turned to you. once you released him you said, "I knew it wasn't true. I knew you wouldn't leave me." you smiled. he smiled, but it soon faltered. "what is it jake?" you ask. he looks down at his hands and sees them drenched in blood. his blood. "maddie?" he asked desperately. "jake?", "I-I don't understand. I don't know what's happening. I-I'm s-sorry, mads." he stuttered as he collapsed again in your arms. "no jake. don't go! please!" you begged. "I-I love you." he breathed his last breath. "no!" The girl dreams.

After a while she starts muttering and whimpering in her sleep, alerting the Baker's.

"No... Jake..." She mumbles.

"What's going on?" Tom asks, worriedly.

"Don't worry. I know what's happening." The young brunette boy speaks up for the first time since reaching the hospital. Jake strides over to Maddison's bedside, pulls up a chair, grips her hand and starts whispering sweet nothing's into her ear, telling her she's safe, loved and everything is alright. The girl instantly becomes calmer at the boys touch, let alone his words.

The rest of the Baker's stand and stare in a stunned silence as the boy calms the girl.

"She gets nightmares." The skater boy announces to his family, not taking his eyes off his best friend. "They're different each night, but still give the same message to her."

"What're they about?" Lorraine asks.

"Her parents. Sometimes us." Jake answers. "She had one on the way down to our new house. She said it was two corpses warning her not to come here and telling her to let us live. You all disappeared but I stayed with her and she told me I got shot by one of the corpses and died in her arms." A single tear slides down the beanie wearing boys face as he continues to gaze longingly at the unconscious girl.

"Oh my..." Kate trails off in disbelief.

"How long?" The eldest Baker boy speaks up.

"What?" Jake finally takes his eyes off Maddison to look at his older brother, quickly wiping away the tear.

"How long has she been having nightmares?" Charlie asks again.

Jake sighs and looks back at Maddison, "Since her parents died."

Charlie rips his hat off his head and throws it at the wall angrily before sitting down and holding his head in his hands.

Tom checks the time on his watch and puffs his cheeks out. "Alright, troops. Its late, I think we should all head home. Get some rest and come back tomorrow to see how she's holding up."