Chapter 10

The next morning I woke up with an arm wrapped around my waist and a hand tightly squeezing mine. He didn't leave.

Jake starts to stir in his sleep before fully waking up. "Morning Mads."

Morning Jakey.

"My mom's leaving today. Are you coming down for that?" Silence. "Alright. I'll tell her you said goodbye." Silence. Jake goes to release my hand but I instantly grab it back and squeeze it tight. "Its okay, I'll come back after I've said goodbye." I hesitantly release his hand. 

I hear Jake shuffle around the room for a while before he finally opens the door. "I'll be back soon." With that, the door closes and I continue to stare at the wall whilst playing with my mother's ring.

The ring is too big for my finger so it hangs on a chain round my neck until it properly fits.

______________

"Knock Knock." I hear a soft voice say as they cautiously enter. "Hey Maddie, its Charlie."

I turn slightly to look at him before returning my gaze to the wall. "How ya doing, kid?" 

"Sorry, I forgot. You don't like being called kid."

"Its fine, Char." I croak.

"Ooo~ so you're talking, now? Am I a genius or what?" He tries to lighten the mood.

"Or what." I joke.

"Oh I see how it is." He chuckles.

"Jake..." I mutter.

"I'll go get him." I hear the door close only to be re-opened a few moments later.

"Hey, Mads. Charlie said he got you talking."

"Mhm." I reply.

"Do you wanna come down for lunch?" Jake asks.

"Fine." I moan, getting out of my bed. I walk over to the dresser and grab one of Jake's hoodies, I throw it on before walking over to Jake.

"Is that mine?" He points to the hoodie, earning a nod from me. "Looks good on you."

I playfully roll my eyes, muttering a small "Whatever."

"Come on, I'm hungry." Jake grabs my hand, interlocking our fingers, and pulls me downstairs for lunch, whilst briefly informing me about school in a few days. Great.

______________

"You kids are gonna do great today, I promise." Tom tries to reassure us younger kids before driving off, leaving us on the side walk in front of the unfamiliar place. 

We all stand in a line and comfortingly hold each others hand. 

"Well," I sigh. "This is it. Meet back here at the end of the day, alright?" Everyone nods, nervously. "Okay, let's do this."

We walked in a line, still joined at the hands, until we got pulled apart within the crowd. Me and Jake stayed together as we knew we had most of the same classes.

There are five lessons that I'm not with Jake out of the whole week, which is pretty good considering some of the Baker's don't see any of us until after school. Even lunch is hard for us to find everyone because they're different times. But I guess, you can't always get what you want.

______________

Its been a week and its officially the weekend. Everyone is going crazy and running wild. Me and Sarah walk into the kitchen because Tom asked her to do the dishwasher. I look over at the stove and see the dinner is on fire. "Tom!" I run over there.