Chapter 7

"How come you and Jake are sharing again?" Mike asks as he waltzes into my new shared room. All the kids have finished claiming their rooms and I had just brought up the last box to my room. 

"Cos we asked Tom and Kate if we could." I reply simply.

"Why?" He asks.

"I don't know, I guess we were just comfortable with how we were at the old house and we didn't want to change that." 

"Is it true what Lorraine said?" Mike asks as he sit on my bed.

"About what Mike?" 

"That you and Jake are lovebirds? I heard you talk in your sleep and you said his name and then she said that you and him were lovebirds. So... is it true? Are you and Jake really lovebirds?" He asks.

"Um... no Mike. I don't think we are." I say disappointedly.

"Are you upset about that? Like, do you want to be love birds?"

"I don't know Mike. We're just friends." I say simply.

"But friends don't look at friends that way." God, him too? "What do you think about how he looks at you, Maddie?"

"What's with all the questions?" I ask.

"Just wondering." He smiles at me. "I'm bored." He huffs, throwing himself to lay on my new bed.

I start to unpack some of my boxes. 

"Hey Maddie?" Mike asks.

"Yes Mike?"

"Why don't you call my Mom and Dad, 'Mom' and 'Dad'." He asks.

He's so innocent.

"Um... well because they aren't my real Mom and Dad."

"But they look after you and treat you like family."

"I know. But I have my own Mom and Dad, Mikey."

"Where are they then?" He asks 

"You know where, Mikey." I say as I stop unpacking to look at him. "They're gone."

"I'm sorry Maddie." He says looking down.

"Hey, its fine Mike. I'm fine. I've learned to live with it, okay?" I look in his eyes, he simply nods.

A few minutes later, Mike thinks of a new question. 

"Hey Maddie?" 

"Yes Mike?" 

"Have you ever thought about what your wedding will be like?" He randomly blurts out.

"Um.... I guess a couple times. I don't really go into depth with that stuff. I have my whole life a head of me, I don't need to go wasting it on obsessing over something not relevant to what I want to be doing right now." I shrug.

"Hey Maddie?"

"Yes Mr. I have so many questions?" I smile.

"Can I be the best man at your and Jake's wedding?" He smirks as he stares at the ceiling.

"Of course you can Mikey. But don't tell Charlie." I smile at him.

He rolls onto his stomach and smirks at me. I look up and see him smirking.

"What Mikey?" I smile at his expression.

"You just said yes to me being a best man at YOUR and JAKE's wedding." He smiles wider. 

"I-" I'm speechless. How the hell did I fall for that?! How did he know that would work?! Why does everyone think me and Jake are in love with each other?! We're just friends! BEST friends. Anyway, there is no way he could ever see me like that.