Cause When I'd Fight You Used to Tell Me I Was Brave

The labour had progressed quickly, leaving Padmé with only short periods of relief before more contractions hit her. Apparently baby Skywalker was impatient.

Ahsoka had brought her to the little medical corner of the bunker before running off to get supplies for the doctor. There was no time for any pain relief. Mon, Bail, Nova and Obi Wan all popped in to check on her and wish her luck before giving her privacy. Nova assured her that she would watch the twins as long as she needed to.

Padmé panted, wishing Anakin was there.
"Do you want someone in here with you?" The doctor questioned. Padmé thought for a second before deciding.
"Ahsoka," she requested the presence of the girl who had been both a daughter and  a little sister figure, someone she and Anakin had always considered to be family.

Once the doctor returned with Ahsoka, it was almost time to push. Ahsoka smiled, holding her hand. She was honoured to be there.
"You can do this, Padmé. You're so brave,"

"You're so brave, Angel." Anakin smiled above her, holding her hand and kissing her forehead.
"It hurts, Ani," she had cried.
"I know, I know. It's almost over,"

Padmé shrieked, pushing as hard as she could.
"You're doing great! Keep going!" The doctor encouraged. Padmé squeezed Ahsoka's hand, yelling out in pain.
"Almost there honey, I can see the head," the doctor said.
"You can do this," Ahsoka told her, pushing her hair back from where it clung to the sweat on her forehead. "You are the strongest woman I know."
Padmé nodded and took a deep breathe. Then she gave a final push.

Relief flooded her body as she fell back on the pillow.
"It's a girl," the doctor exclaimed, cleaning the baby off and wrapping her in a white blanket.
"She's beautiful, Padmé," Ahsoka said as the doctor gave her to the mother.

Padmé looked at the baby's face, taking in every curve and detail. She had a soft tuft of curly brown hair, lighter than Padmé's but darker than Anakin's. Her eyes weren't open but Padmé bet they were blue. Her chest rose and fell quickly.

Padmé began to get concerned.
"Is she supposed to sound like that?" She asked worriedly, listening to the baby's shallow breathing. The doctor rushed over and looked at the baby, before quickly taking her from her mother's arms. She called out for a nurse as she rushed to the other side of the room.
"What's happening? What's wrong with her?" Padmé cried, reaching out. Ahsoka took her arm and tried to calm her down.
"It's alright, she'll be okay," she whispered as tears streamed down Padmé's face.

——

A few hours later, Padmé was sitting in a wheelchair next to a small glass box. The baby inside was hooked up to multiple devices.
"They said she'll be okay, Padmé." Ahsoka assured her.
Padmé didn't respond, placing her hand on the glass box.

"So, have you decided on her name?" Ahsoka asked, trying to cheer her up. Padmé smiled slightly, not looking away from her baby as she responded.
"Luna," She said. "Luna Cordé Skywalker."
"That's a lovely name," Obi Wan appeared behind them. He smiled at Padmé before looking at the baby. "What did the doctor say?" He whispered to Ahsoka, who took his arm and guided him away from the mother and baby.

"They said it's atrial fibrillation, which is causing her heart to beat faster. They're trying to slow it down now with treatment." She explained. Obi Wan stroked his beard.
"Do they have any idea what caused it?"

Ahsoka looked to be deep in thought for a moment.
"Padmé mentioned that Sidious shocked her a few times for information. Could that have caused it?"
"I'm not sure, but it sounds possible. I'll speak to the doctor."
Obi Wan went to do just that as Ahsoka went back to comfort the terrified mother.

——

After speaking with the doctor, Obi Wan waited until Padmé was back in bed before explaining his theory.
"Padmé," he began. "Ahsoka said that the emperor used the force to electrocute you. Is that true?"
Padmé nodded slowly before her eyes grew wide in realisation.
"Is that what caused the problem with her heart?" She stuttered.
"We can't say for sure, Padmé." Ahsoka said.
"But why? Why didn't it affect my heart?" Padmé questioned, her eyes darting over to her newborn daughter.
Obi Wan glanced over at the baby, sensing her powerful force signature.
"She's already very strong in the force. Maybe..." Obi Wan shook his head.
"What?" Padmé asked nervously.
"I was thinking that maybe she somehow protected you by absorbing the brunt of it."
"Is that even possible?" Ahsoka asked as Padmé stayed silent in shock.
"I've never seen that much power in someone so young, but I suppose anything's possible when you're a Skywalker." Obi Wan said.
"This is all my fault," Padmé cried.
"Padmé, there's no way you could have known." Ahsoka assured her.
"That's right. None of this is your fault," Obi Wan agreed.
Padmé took a deep breath, turning to look at her baby. In that moment, she opened her eyes, and Padmé swore that a wave of comfort and serenity had just engulfed her.