Reaching Out Across the Sea That You put Between You and me

"I'm fine, Nova. I told you, I just need to lay down for a while."
They had only arrived that morning, but it had felt like forever since she had slept. They arrived at their room and Padmé immediately went to the twins.
"Padmé, you should rest." Nova told her.
Padmé ignored her, peeking into the smaller room to find the twins napping. Mon sat in a chair nearby, smiling at her in a greeting.

She stood and followed Padmé out the door, closing it softly behind them. "They're fine. Just tired themselves out."
"Thank you Mon," Padmé said, moving towards the bed. Just as she sat down, Mon's comlink started to beep. She moved to the hallway to take the call. Padmé couldn't help feeling a little offended, but knew that they had the right to be wary of her. She found herself too tired to care very much and closed her eyes. Nova stood nearby, hovering like a guard.

Mon suddenly ran back into the room, startling the two women.
"They need you Padmé!" She ran over and grabbed her wrist.
"Stay with the twins," Padmé told Nova as she was pulled out of the room.
Padmé struggled to keep up and Nova was right behind her. "Mon, what's happening?" She huffed but Mon didn't reply. They stopped at the entrance to the main room and Padmé tried to catch a breath.

"We're receiving a call from a separatist line." Mon told her, putting a hand on her shoulder.
"Is it-?"
"Yes." She nodded seriously. Padmé pushed her way into the room, seeing her husband's dark suit fill the large screen. Rebels stood around the room, watching the live transmission.

"I want you to return my wife and children at once." He demanded.
"Your wife is here of her own free will." Bail said.
"You have turned her against me!" He bellowed.
"Anakin!" Padmé yelled as she entered the frame. Vader froze, taking in the sight of his angry wife.
"Padmé, why-"
"You know why! You will not turn my children into pawns for your master!" Padmé unconsciously placed a hand on her stomach. She took a breath and spoke in a calmer voice.
"I am not coming back. You are no longer my husband and I am no longer your wife. Goodbye Anakin." She ended the transmission before she could change her mind.

Chatter broke out all around her.
"We're in real trouble now!"
"What do we do?"
"They coming for us now!"

"Everyone calm down!" Bail tried to control the crowd but the chaos only grew.
"It's because of her! Send her back!" A man yelled, pointing at Padmé angrily.
"She's gonna get us all killed!"
"Get rid of her and those brats!"

For Padmé, the voices had all started blurring together in an incoherent buzz. Faces surrounded her. Scared, angry, desperate faces. Anakin demanding her return. Bail shielding her from the crowd. Mon moving in front of her to hide her.
Palpatine telling her that he was going to take everything away from her. Her children screaming out in fear.

Padmé fainted.