And Some Things You Just Can't Speak About

Padmé sighed, letting her shoulders drop as she entered her quarters.
"Mommy!"
She didn't try to stop the smile on her face as the twins ran towards her. She squatted down and caught them, hugging them close.
"I hope you two were good," she teased, catching sight of their tired nanny.
"We're always good." Leia said proudly. Luke glanced around the room and pouted.
"Where's daddy?"
"He's busy, sweetheart."
"He's always busy," Luke whined. Padmé shushed him and gathered the little boy in her arms.
"I know, honey, tell you what? How about you two get ready for bed and I'll get you some blue milk?"
Luke jumped out of her arms at the mention of his favourite drink, yelling at his sister to race him to the bathroom.

Padmé turned to the nanny and nodded. "Thank you. You may retire to your quarters." Padmé felt bad being short with one of the only other women on the base, but she had been warned not to get to attached to anyone serving the emperor.
"Good night, Lady Vader," the nanny dropped into a curtsy before briskly leaving the room. Padmé cringed, knowing she would never get used to that name.

——

It took some time, but both kids were finally asleep in their beds. Luke held a Wookiee plushie, drooling on his pillow. Leia slept curled up in a ball, a plush ewok by her side. Padmé smiled, shutting the door quietly. After changing into her nightgown and washing off her makeup, she sat down on the bed to look at the note.

It was a string of strange symbols, but she found herself vaguely recognising parts of it. She racked her brain for the translations, trying to remember where she had seen this code before. Suddenly struck with an idea, she jumped up and darted  over to the chest of her belongings. Right at the bottom was what she was looking for, an old book of the history of Naboo's royalty. She remembered studying it intently when she was queen.

Just as she found the right section, the door slid open and she jumped, tucking the note under her pillow.
"It's only me," her husband said. As soon as the door closed, he pulled off his helmet and tussled his hair. He walked over and placed a kiss on her forehead before going to change out of his suit.
"I thought you would be back after putting the kids to bed?" He questioned from the wardrobe.
"It took so long to get them both asleep that I decided there was no point," she huffed. "They asked for you, you know. And I had to see their disappointed faces, again."
Anakin sighed, coming out of the wardrobe in loose black pants and a robe.
"Padmé, you know that I have a duty to the emperor,"
Oh, where had she heard that before?

"You also have a duty to your children. They take it personally, you know."
"Well I would see them more if you allowed them to start training."
"Absolutely not. When they were born, you promised me that they wouldn't be trained in the dark side!"
"What do you want from me Padmé?"
"I want you to make time for your children. Not as Darth Vader, as their father." She said sternly.
Anakin sighed, sitting on the bed next to her. "You're right, Angel. I'll try harder."

She allowed him to pull her into his side, resting her head on his chest. It was probably better to let it go for now and just trust him. She could only hope that he meant what he said.