Chapter 56: Speak Of The Devil

"So you finally took my advice and seduced Mr. Bhatt." Mrinalini sent me a wink through the mirror while putting on earrings.

"I didn't seduce him. He seduced me," I corrected her.

Mrinalini shook her head, amused.

"He was the one to kiss me!" I claimed. She paused her fumbling inside the makeup bag to give me a 'drop the bulls**t' look. "I just didn't have the will to stop him," I confessed quietly.

Mrinalini chuckled and went back to dolling herself up. Right now we were at her apartment getting ready for Aadeel sir's party.

Unlike with my other colleagues I didn't want to keep my relationship with Antarang a secret from Mrinalini. Besides she wasn't just a coworker, she was my only friend here in Bangalore. She already knew about my history with Antarang, and I trusted her to keep quiet.

I had expected Mrinalini to declare me crazy for getting back with my ex-fiancé, instead she took the news quite well. Her reaction told me she was already expecting it.

I guess it was Zainab who I had to worry about. I was yet to tell her about me and Antarang. I doubted she was going to be all accepting and giggly about the news like Mrinalini... Now if only I could muster up the courage to tell her.

"So what's next? Is the wedding still in picture? Are you two going to elope?... Ooh, a romantic escapade!"

"We haven't thought of that far," I told Mrinalini.

"Well think about it Kashvi, you aren't going to date him forever. And I am pretty sure he isn't planning to either."

*******

"I was starting to wonder when you two will show up," Ranjan greeted us as we reached him and others in front of the bar.

I had never been to Cubbon before, but I had heard its praise from my colleagues. And once I stepped inside, it didn't disappoint. Dim lights, big chandeliers hanging down the ceiling and a man on piano enchanting the room with Für Elise. I must give it to our bosses knowing how to throw lavish parties.

"Well girls have to be fashionably late," Mrinalini chimed, taking the glass of champagne that the bartender offered. I went for the glass of red wine.

"I can see that," Ranjan said, his eyes running over us, "you ladies look extra beautiful tonight," he added gentlemanly.

"Thank you, sir." Mrinalini smiled coyly, happy to receive the compliment she was fetching for. Well we did work hard to look 'extra beautiful' tonight. It took us more than an hour to get our hair and make-up done.

I was in a knee- length denim shirt dress which I thought looked cute on me. My hair was straightened and fell down my shoulders, and on feet I was donning white pumps to go with the outfit. Whereas, Mrinalini was going bold with her black bodycon dress that was catching many eyes, paired with black stilettos and curled brown hair.

"You clean up nice too," I said to Ranjan. He was wearing a navy-blue suit. I was used to seeing him in casual T-shirts, sneakers and tousled hair, so these formal clothes along with shiny black shoes and gelled hair was refreshing on him.

Ranjan beamed, surprised by the compliment. 

"Where's Aadeel sir? We should see him before I get drunk," Mrinalini asked.

"You two aren't the only ones who are fashionably late," Ayush, my teammate at HotWired, jumped into the conversation, taking a sip of some fruit shake. "Aadeel sir hasn't arrived yet, so I suggest you should pace yourself until he comes," he said to Mrinalini.

"The party is in full-swing and host isn't even here yet... wow!"

"I called him, he'd be here soon," Ranjan informed us, "he told me something about picking up his special guest."

Mrinalini sighed. "Till then I guess I have to do with milk shakes." She snatched the glass from Ayush and winked at him, taking a long sip of his shake.

"Ma'am, you should get your own!" Ayush pouted at his senior, making us all chuckle.

We four fell into chit-chat and soon others joined us too. Though Mrinalini had kept me updated about all the news and gossips at HotWired's office, it was still nice to catch up with my 'temporary-ex' co-workers.

"So when are you coming back at HotWired?" Ranjan asked me suddenly. "It seems Mr. Bhatt has taken a liking to you, maybe that's why he's not letting you go."

I almost spit out the wine in my mouth, his wording of the situation catching me off-guard. Mrinalini's smirk that she tried to hide behind her glass didn't help either.

"I'll be out of there in couple of weeks," I replied, gulping down the remaining contents of my glass. I was suddenly feeling very hot.

"What's the hurry Kashvi? I bet you're enjoying over there too," Mrinalini teased me and I glared at her. "I mean it's a good work experience. You should take the full advantage of this opportunity." She shrugged, her eyes still glinting mischievously.

"And there's an added benefit of seeing a dashing CEO daily. I'd never pass up on such an opportunity," added Avanti, new recruit at HotWired. She was hired at the position of Tech Lead, thus making her my senior. She must've met Antarang through meetings.

"Hey! Aren't you married?" Ranjan reminded Avanti. "And also pregnant?"

"Being married and pregnant doesn't make you blind Ranjan. Besides, admiring such an eye-candy from afar is not a marital-crime."

"I wonder if the same standards apply to your husband," Ranjan jibed back, making Avanti roll her eyes.

"Aadeel sir is here!" Ayush announced looking behind us. "Ooh, and so is his special guest." He added, amazed.

Ranjan's eyes followed his and widened. "Speak of the devil..."

I turned around to find the said devil appear.

*******

Sorry for being MIA this long. I'll try to complete at least this story.