Chapter 11: First Date

I ran a nervous hand through my hair, looking at my reflection on the glass door before opening it. It dinged as I stepped inside the cafe.

Just a single look and I found Antarang sitting at the corner table, his deep brown eyes already on me. The ring at door must've alerted him of my presence. My heart skidded before thundering, still not used to his intense gaze. It felt like a physical caress, making my body tingle. It scared me, but also thrilled me to be the center of his attention.

We had decided on phone to see each other at a cafe near my workplace after I finished. Today I had taken an early day off, so I wouldn't be late when returning home. Needless to say, our families didn't know that we were meeting.

It was only a day before yesterday when Antarang and I had met along with our parents. Unlike that day, today he was dressed more casually in a peach colored plain t-shirt and light blue jeans. His hair was bit tousled, giving him a boyish look. He looked younger, deterring from his usual intimidating CEO persona. Though his aura still held the same dominance and authority, not letting anyone mistake him for just any other guy.

I had put in extra effort in my outfit too. I was wearing my designed black long kurti with fitted red cotton pants. It looked good but not over the top, and also it flattered my otherwise full figure gracefully. I had also kept my hair down and did a touch up before coming here. Zainab helped me at the price of getting all the details of our date later.

"Hey," he greeted, standing up as I reached the table.

"Hi," I said.

We looked at each other. This was my first time being on a date with a guy. Should I offer my hand to shake? Hug him... Nah, that'd be too much. Maybe I should just stand here and keep staring at him. Yup, sounds like a plan.

"You look beautiful," Antarang said, breaking my inner monologue. He gave me a long once over from head to toe, not bothering to hide that he was checking me out.

On cue, I blushed. "You too don't look bad yourself," I managed to speak out. He looked gorgeous, like always. He smiled and gestured me to take a seat.

"So you don't want to marry me," Antarang stated without any hesitation once we settled.

My eyes widened. I knew he was very direct, but he still managed to faze me when he talked like that.

I cleared my throat before correcting him. "You're phrasing it wrong Antarang. I don't want to marry. Period."

"Same thing."

"Not."

He smirked. "Okay."

"Okay," I huffed, holding back a smile. Again, this guy loved to rile me.

"Is there a reason?" He raised his brows. "Not that you need to, but still..."

"I have a job. Okay a not so good job, in fact a sad job, and it definitely can't compare to yours. But still I like to work. I'm looking forward to progress my career. You know about the interview, right?" I told him and he nodded. "I want to do more with my life. It's not about just earning money- though I like the financial independence- but I like doing my stuff and I believe I'm good at it. It's the only thing I'm sure about.

"Marriage is going to put a stop on it. I've seen my colleagues who are women. Most of them once they get married, either quit or lose that spark. Suddenly they don't care about projects, pay hike or promotion anymore. Their life start revolving around husbands and family. If this doesn't happen after marriage, then it surely does after having babies."

Antarang looked pensive, taking in everything I was laying.

"I'm not ready for that now. Maybe in future, but not right now. I don't want to give up on my dreams for a husband or a child. It's too early for that."

"Have you told your family that?" He asked.

"They don't listen to me. Papa thinks I'm being ridiculous. He doesn't even like me working." I scoffed. "According to him, I'm getting married late. He boasts how Maa and him got married when they were eighteen and twenty-one. He says I should be learning to take care of my husband and family, not doing a job."

"Your father sounds like a... very orthodox man," Antarang commented, minding his words.

I shrugged.

"You are an adult Kashvi. Nobody can force you into anything," he said as if that was supposed to solve everything.

I shook my head. "It's not that easy. And aren't you an adult too? Your parents are making you marry too. Didn't you say the other day you aren't very keen for the wedding?"

"My situation is completely different from yours. My mother has been after me to get hitched ever since I turned twenty three. She's crazy like that. But she couldn't. This matchmaking is happening because I am letting it," he told me, "nobody is sure as hell forcing me to marry you princess."

"I thought you didn't want to-"

"I said I wasn't excited, not against it. It might sound bad, but I was doing it as a chore. I spent more than two decades of my life learning, then next five years building my company and earning. Eventually, starting a family was the next step, and if it gets my mom off my back then I thought why not?"

"So if we get together I'll be just another addition to showcase in your grand life," I stated, miffed at how he mentioned marriage as a 'chore'. I didn't want to be someone's chore.

"No, you'll be more than that." Going by the twinkle in his eyes, he found my accusation amusing. "Kashvi, I'm not going to beat around the bush. I want you." My blush returned. This man didn't have a single shy bone in him.

"I took a liking to you from the first moment I saw you," he continued, and his hooded eyes told me it was more than a generic liking. "I've never felt that way before for another girl. And I mean it when I say that, unlike you I have my fair share of experience with opposite gender."

I frowned. Of course, he had dated and had girlfriends. I mean look at him.

"Aww, no need to sulk, Mithi," Antarang teased me, catching my mood, "it's not my fault that you remained pious and obedient little girl, instead of taking pleasures of youth. You can't expect everyone to be like you."

My frown deepened. This prick had admitted himself he enjoyed my inexperience with guys. Now he was rubbing it in my face.

"Good for you then," I said, giving him a saccharine sweet smile to convey my displeasure.

His lips curled into a wolfish grin. "Before you turn anymore green, you should know that you have nothing to worry about. Now I have my eyes only on you princess."

My heart thudded. He really didn't held back, did he?

******