Chapter 28: New Boss

My nights had turned sleepless and my days were spent in constant consternation. Antarang was back. Every time I stepped inside the office I was on the lookout for a sight of him, both dreading and anticipating running into him.

Though I hadn't seen him for last three days, I knew today our meeting was inevitable. My team was going to have one of our biweekly meetings with him and his colleagues.

I had donned myself in my black kurti and red pants, the same outfit which I had worn on our first date. Maybe it was an unconscious effort to gain his attention. It didn't sit well with me how easily he ignored me last time. That somehow hurt more than any word he could've said in anger.

I was now in the conference room with my colleagues, waiting for Antarang and his team to show up. Ranjan was sitting next to me, going through his laptop to revise the code. As expected Ayush and I had pinged him multiple times while working on this project. It was quite complicated for us newbies, but then again I was learning a lot too.

The door opened turning everyone's head in its direction in the room. Walked in the source of my pacing thoughts and sleepless nights. He was clad in three piece suit, hair styled back and hardened brown eyes - which used to soften for me before. Antarang was all business like, and I'd be lying if I said this side of him didn't turn me on. He was back to his clean-shaven look too.

Behind him were Rehan, Mona and Aakash, all of them looking sharp and ready to take on whatever the world threw at them. Compared to them me and my team looked hobos in our casual wears. No one memoed us about the dress code.

"Welcome, Mr. Bhatt." Ranjan stood up and all of us followed suit. He nodded at his team in greeting.

Antarang and Ranjan shook hands and exchanged pleasantries before all of us took our seats.

Aadeel sir had left us to Antarang. Till now he had only contacted Ranjan once to check up on us if we were doing our job right. You could say right now our boss was Antarang. By the twist of fate- or Antarang- I did somehow end up working for him. Ah...

"So how far along are you guys with the new features?" Interrogated Antarang. He was yet to spare me a glance, whereas I was ogling him shamelessly. His cold attitude had started to make me wonder if I was making a mountain out of a molehill. What if he really was here just for his business?

"We have increased the cam's power to detect vehicles at farther distance, we have also added alarm you asked for..." Ranjan supplied about all the work we had done on dash-cam till now.

The meeting mostly involved Antarang and Ranjan talking and us juniors listening, just like any other meeting. Though this time I wanted to speak... Say something to Antarang. But minutes ticked by and I remained silence.

I sat up straight when I caught him looking at me. My face heated under his watchful eyes. Well, at least he decided to acknowledge my presence. My breath stopped as I caught the predatory look in his deep browns, roaming all over the visible part of my body above the table. His gaze never failed to make me flustered.

Something passed between us, and for a moment it was just us two in the room. I could read his anger on me, his frustration, the wrenching feeling of being betrayed by me, and longing. I could only hope he too could see how sorry I was that I abandoned him without any word. How much I still loved him, even though it was now stupid to expect for us to be anything.

"So what are your thoughts on that, Mr. Bhatt?" Ranjan cleared his throat, breaking the spell between us.

It was like a switch was flipped and the cold and indifferent look was back on Antarang's face as he turned to my lead. "I'd let you know once I consult it with my engineers," he replied. 

"Yes, of course." Ranjan nodded, throwing a look at me. I shifted in my seat and avoided his eyes. Are we that obvious?

"Mr. Murti, we might ask to add more features if you guys can handle these," Antarang spoke after some more discussion between them, "don't worry about the budget, we'll set it accordingly. I am expecting best from you guys, let's hope you deliver it."

"We'll give you our best," our lead reassured.

The meeting came to an end. Antarang stood up and we all followed. I could only watch as he walked out of the room with his team. I wanted to stop him, drag him back by grabbing his hand. I had so much to say to him, and going by how he looked at me, so much to listen from him too. 

"Let's get back to work then!" Ranjan clapped. "Enough of drooling over our new boss. There's lot to be done."

I turned to him, taken aback. His narrowed eyes were trained on me before he looked at the others. Well, now I was getting unwarranted jibes from my senior. Huh...

Ranjan had no idea about my history with Antarang, but he shouldn't be making remarks like that. What was it to him anyway? I was sure many women working under Antarang had a crush on him. It wasn't a shocker if Mona, I or anyone admired him. It wasn't like I was blatantly flirting with him or disturbing meeting. If Ranjan wasn't our senior and appraisals weren't coming next month, I would push back. But right now a nasty glare had to do.

"C'mon boss, who's drooling over Bhatt? We all have our eyes on you," Mohan chimed comically, "you're the only one we want and desire. Mr. Bhatt got nothing on you." He winked at Ranjan. Others laughed.

"It's me who's going to review your performance, so yeah I better be the one you all desire."

*******