Chapter 33: Hierarchy

"It was your job, not his, Ms. Acharya."

"But it was a large code-"

"Doesn't matter. It was your work, not Mr. Murti's. He has his own responsibilities to handle which doesn't involve doing your work," Antarang reprimanded, "besides, he's your senior. You should be working for him, not the other way around." That was definitely a jibe on Ranjan.

"She's new and the workload was too sudden for her, that's why I decided to lend a hand," Ranjan countered, coming to both of our defense. "And as her senior, my responsibilities also include helping her when she needs it."

Antarang's eyes narrowed further at his remark. "There's a difference between helping and doing her work for her. If she can't do her job by herself then what's the point of hiring her." He turned to Aadeel sir. "I thought you said she has a bright future ahead. It's hard to believe that when she lacks competence." 

"I didn't do her work, like I said, just lent a hand. Ms. Acharya is part of my team and so far from working with her I know she very much deserved to be hired here, and neither does she lack competence," Ranjan retorted. I didn't like how this was escalating and could land him in trouble. 

I knew Antarang was being this harsh because I was involved. Or maybe he was just a jerk of a boss. I didn't want Ranjan to take the brunt of anger that was originally directed at me.

"How about we let her prove that to us, instead of you advocating for her?" Antarang's jaw clenched. He wasn't impressed with Ranjan's back talking. "I wonder if you're this passionate about any other of your juniors as you're about her. Maybe lend your hand to other juniors as well, I'm sure they won't mind getting their work done too." 

This prick! What is he insinuating?!

"Let's not take this further," Aadeel sir interrupted before Ranjan could speak. He looked at me and I resisted the urge to cower under his stern gaze. "Kashvi, next time make sure you do your own work. I have high expectations from you." He sounded like my father, except my father had expectations of me being a good wife to my husband. "I boasted about you to Antarang. Let's not disappoint him." Oh well, he isn't that different from my father. I still had to impress Antarang.

"Yes sir," I replied submissively. Aadeel sir was trying to ease the tension and appease Antarang. "I apologize. This won't be repeated next time." Being the lowest in hierarchy in this room, I knew I had to be the one to bow down.

He gave a curt nod before turning to Antarang. "Strict as always," he commented.

"You can't move ahead without being strict and disciplined," replied Antarang, staring me down.

Next 40 minutes of the meeting I stayed quiet, speaking only when it was necessary. I felt utterly embarrassed. Ranjan was sulking too though he kept his professional demeanor.

I had my suspicion that this was what Antarang wanted to achieve: to embarrass me in front of my colleagues.

Jerk!

*******

I was back home by the lunchtime. My apartment door was slammed shut, banging loudly against the wooden casing. I threw my bag on the table and sprawled on the sofa. I was still fuming at how things went down today at Ranjan's office.  

The pressure on my head warned me of the incoming headache. I was hungry and exhausted, but the events of today didn't allow me to relax, swarming my mind with the image of that man. I wondered if this wasn't the end and Antarang was going to keep making difficult for me to work under him.

He was, wasn't he?

My head throbbed making me groan. My stomach growled too. I felt miserable.

I wished Maa was here. Whenever I returned home, tired from work, she'd prepare me my favorite food and offered head massages. Although she never stopped nagging about my job, yet it was obvious she cared. She cared when I ranted about my colleagues, she cared when I had too much workload.

Her "Stop working so late," were somehow followed by words of encouragement.

Suddenly, I felt the strong urge to hear her voice. My body went on autopilot and I dialled my mother's phone number. The familiar caller tune of Ganesha Aarti rang in my ear.

"Hello." My stomach did a somersault hearing her voice. It felt like I was hearing her after eternity, even though it had been couple of months. "Hello, hello!"

I couldn't bring myself to say anything. My breath was stuck in my throat. Maa, I miss you.

"Is anyone there? Hello... Maybe a signal problem," she murmured to herself before the line went dead.

A tear trickled down my eye. I was exhausted, miserable and homesick.

*******

Sorry, it was short and sooooo late, hope you like it :)