Chapter 49: Sanskaari Naari

"Yesterday we sealed the deal officially. We have the investors and their money," Antarang announced and my co-workers cheered. We all were at the lounging area of office. I clapped too, celebrating company's success.

"You did it boss!" Dheeraj hooted.

"We all did it," Antarang corrected, "though I'd like to give extra credit to Mona for her awesome presentation that impressed those old fellas." 

I saw Mona's smile widen and her eyes lighting up at being acknowledged by Antarang. I didn't like it. Her rant in washroom a day before yesterday had really put me off and since then I had been avoiding her. I hadn't expected such hostility from her, but I suppose people surprised you like that.

"You were impressive too boss," said Mona, flirtation dripping from her tone. She put her hand on his shoulder and I had the strongest urge to yank it off. Her efforts to get closer to Antarang weren't unnoticed by me. "You were the one who handled their cross questions and gained their confidence. You had them eating out of your hand."

"And what about me and Rehan?" Aman jumped in, an exaggerated frown tugging his lips. "We were there too. Aren't we going to get any credit?"

Antarang chuckled. "Yes, you two worked hard too. I thank you for it." He then turned to me. "I also thank Kashvi for helping Mona set up the conference room." 

I awarded him a courteous smile, not delving into his expecting gaze. I had doubled my efforts to avoid Antarang too. Mona's spiel was another reminder for me to stay away from him. It wasn't her words, but the realization that I wasn't going to duel against another girl for a guy who I had left in the first place. I had my reasons and those reasons still persisted. As much as it killed me, Mona could have him. 

"And I want to thank all of you for being part of this journey with Brillio. Needless to say any success is impossible without you guys. Let's hope we see more years of us growing and moving forward together," Antarang completed his speech and everyone broke out in another round of applause.

"Just your words won't do, we want a party!" Someone shouted from the crowd.

"Yes, I was coming to that. Can't have you calling me stingy," Antarang replied. "To celebrate I have organised a small treat for you guys at Alto, so you all are free to leave work early and meet us there." Alto Vino was one of the finest restaurants of the city and also quiet expensive. I bet no one would be calling Antarang stingy. 

After chatting some more with his employees Antarang took his leave and not a minute later Mona followed. Dheeraj was right, she did act like his puppy. 

*******

Alto Vino was famous for its Italian cuisine, and from what I knew the alcohols served here cost more than many people's salary. The ambiance of restaurant did scream luxury the moment I stepped inside. It was situated in Marriott Whitfield, a five-star hotel, which added more to its opulence.

As suggested by Antarang all of us had left office at halftime and went back to our home to get ready for the party. I had almost made up my mind to skip the party and spend the remaining day in bed streaming Netflix, in my bid to avoid Antarang, but somehow Dheeraj convinced me to join him. He had lured me with food and a car ride which saved me cab money. Perhaps, I was still a sucker for free food.

"Once my parents find me a girl, I'm proposing her here," Dheeraj claimed, studying every detail of restaurant as we walked.

I chuckled. "What's the point when she's already arranged to be married to you?" I wondered.

"The point is to be romantic," he replied, "and also the zero risk of rejection would be an added benefit."

"You never know, she can still reject you at mandap," I said without thinking and then immediately realized how my words described my own predicament.

"It's her choice," Dheeraj shrugged off my comment with a meme.

We found Antarang at the bar with Mona and Aman. They all had a glass of scotch in their hands. Despite my hesitance I let Dheeraj drag me to them. It was after all mandatory to greet the host of party who also happened to be our boss.

Antarang's gaze landed on me before we reached them. His eyes skimmed down my figure, caressing my body with his intense gaze and making it erupt in goosebumps. I was in a cream-colored anarkali which had embroidery work done around the neckline and on dupatta. My makeup was light but I had painted my lips in bold crimson. And on my feet I donned golden stilettos, giving me few inches. It was definitely an upgrade from my usual office attire.

Antarang had cleaned up nice too. In a navy blue shirt tucked inside white chino pants and shiny expensive loafers on his feet, he looked like he stepped right out of every woman's dream. The sleeves of his shirt were folded till his elbows, flaunting his strong, veiny forearms. His hair was gelled back with some kind of hair product, finishing his classy look.

"Already started on the drinks without us," Dheeraj said as we stood before them. I gave all three a customary smile.

"You're welcome to join us," Antarang offered, his eyes still studying me. I could also feel Mona's eyes digging into me from peripheral.

"If it's on your tab then why not?" Dheeraj quipped, moving to take seat beside Aman.

"Why else do you think I am here?" said Aman and raised his glass.

"You four then enjoy your drinks, I'll be with others." I decided to excuse myself.

"You should join us too Kashvi," Aman said.

"Come on Aman, don't you see Kashvi is too sanskaari for drinks," Mona commented before I could reply. "Let her enjoy her naans and shahi paneer. That's what she came here for." She threw me a deriding smirk. 

I was adult enough to not be goaded into drinking alcohol by her juvenile remark, but God I wanted to shut her up! She was in a satin green cocktail dress that was wrapped around her body like a second skin, and on the other hand my traditional outfit wasn't helping me refute her claim. I was no heavy weight when it came to consuming liquor, in fact, whenever I was out with Mrinalini I rarely ordered second glass... but the way Mona put it was as though I was some 'behen ji' who didn't belong in their club. 

I gave her a saccharine smile. "If only this place could serve good naans and shahi paneer Mona," I sighed, "this sanskaari naari has to do with ravioli and bruschetta. Now if you excuse me..." I turned around and walked away from them, feeling his scorching gaze on my back.

*******

Dupatta- a shawl.

Sanskaari- traditional

Naari- woman

Naans- buttered chapattis (usually eaten on festive occasions)

shahi paneer- north Indian dish

behen ji- sister (sometimes used as derogatory term to brand girls not sophisticated or modern) (kinda misogynistic tbh)