Chapter 17: Devil Of A Husband

"You just dropped out of nowhere at my workplace," I said, "and here you were angry at your parents for showing up unannounced at my house."

"I bet unlike my parents it was a nice surprise for you to see me," Antarang replied.

Zainab, him and I had lunch together, or more like him gobbling down our food. Zainab was a little shy at first, but soon she opened up more to him. I must give it to this guy, he was good with people- unlike me. After our lunch hour was over, I took a half-day off to spend it with Antarang. Work load was less considering I was working on notice period, so Biswa let me go.

Right now we were at Gomti Riverfront, casually strolling along paved path beside the Gomti river. Antarang had driven us here for our second date.

"Who says it was nice to see you? Hmm," I teased him nudging his side, before shaking my head. "I don't hate your parents Antarang. I am just acknowledging the difference in our ways of thinking. My maa and papa are same. I don't want any trouble in future between you and your parents because of me," I told him honestly.

"Like I am promising hundredth time Princess, there won't be any trouble. If there is, I'll fight for you. I'll fight for us."

"That's the thing. I don't want a fight."

"You're so difficult," he said frustrated.

I stopped and faced Antarang. He mirrored my actions, a fascinating frown pulling down his lips. His perfectly styled hair now fell over his forehead in disarray as wind blew them. He had left his overcoat in car, leaving him in vest and white shirt which was folded till the elbows. Even in his unkempt state Antarang looked just as good, if not better. I wondered why this man so eagerly wanted to be with me.

"I'm scared," I confided.

"Of what?" His tone turned gentle.

I sighed. "Of everything. I'm scared what turn my life will take after marriage. Right now I know where I stand and what are the expectations from me. With my family I know the ins and outs, but I can't say the same for yours. Things are going to change and I'm afraid of that change."

"Things are going to change Kashvi," he said, his eyes earnestly staring into mine, "but they are going to change for better. Just trust me on this one," he pleaded.

Before I could reply my phone rang.

"Hello," I answered.

"Hello, am I speaking to Kashvi Acharya?" A female voice said.

"Yes, this is she."

"Great! Kashvi, I'm speaking from HotWired, Aparna Gupta from HR department. This call is to inform you that you got the job, congratulations! We'll be pleased to welcome you in our company."

I got the job. I blinked at Antarang, my mouth agape. His brows furrowed studying me, and he soon figured out what was happening because he mouthed to put the phone on speaker.

"Kashvi, are you still there?" The lady from the other end spoke when I didn't respond.

"Yes, yes, I'm still here," I said immediately, putting the phone on speaker.

"Good. You applied for the position of software engineer, right?"

"Yes," my answer was immediate. Antarang gestured me to calm down and I nodded. I was too excited. I saw him taking out his cell phone and typing on it.

"So Kashvi, you impressed everyone. We see your potential. Our CTO couldn't recommend you enough." I tried to still my shaky hands. I knew who she was talking about. I had a small chat with CTO of HotWired, Aadeel Kazmi. At that particular time I had no idea who he was, thinking of him as one of the interviewers. But later when I googled him I couldn't be more impressed.