Chapter 12: Say Yes To The Groom

"Excuse me Sir and Ma'am, are you ready to order?" Waiter said, making my eyes pull away from Antarang. I didn't know whether be mad at him or grateful for breaking our moment.

"I'm ready if you're?" Antarang asked me and I nodded.

We had been here for more than ten minutes and not ordered anything yet. I didn't want to stall more. Plus my purpose here wasn't a fancy meal. I quickly skimmed down the menu and went for the safest choice, my pet drink- cappuccino- and a mini pizza. My date ordered himself an espresso with a veg club sandwich. He so seemed like an espresso guy. All dark, broody and fancy.

"So where were we?" Said Antarang once the waiter was gone.

"Reminiscing your old love affairs," I supplied without thinking. When he chuckled, I realized how immature I sounded.

I guess I was peeved how easy it had been for him to date, whereas my family kept a tight leash on me, not even letting me interact with guys casually. They had to make everything weird whenever I mentioned a guy's name at home.

Talk about double standards.

The only reason I agreed to meet Antarang behind my family's back was because I knew Papa wouldn't be too mad about it. He was already eager to hitch me with him.

"I have nothing to hide. If you want my dating history, I'm more than happy to give it you," Antarang taunted with a smirk.

I pursed my lips. I did want to know about it, and more than that I was curious if he had slept with his ex-girlfriends... He did. Didn't he? Sanskaari my foot!

Was I jealous like he said? Maybe. But more than that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to match his past experiences, 'if we get married'. Like yeah, I saved myself for my husband - like everyone wanted me to - but what use would be my virginity if I wasn't good in bed.

"Maybe some other time," I replied, not wanting to embarrass myself further. "But I do want to know why you chose arranged marriage when you clearly have other options. I suppose wouldn't you rather marry the person who you already know and like, than some stranger?" I pointed at myself.

"I don't see you as a stranger Princess," Antarang said, "I'm hurt that you see me as one." He sighed in mock hurt.

"This is like our third meeting, so I am still keeping you in stranger zone."

"Ouch!" He clutched his chest, making me giggle.

He turned serious before answering my question. "Kashvi, I haven't been with anyone for two years. Since the company took off, I've been busy. I don't have time nor the patience to go out and actively look for someone. And even if I did, I know my parents wouldn't be easily convinced with my choice of partner. They have their own demands for the girl, like her religion, caste, family status... you know all that shit which Indian parents look at."

I nodded, relating to him. My maa and papa were same.

"Honestly, my rebellious phase is over and with my startup in tow I don't have the energy to fight them over their regressive views. They are never going to change anyway. Besides I didn't have anyone worth fighting for, and I do eventually have to tie the knot.

"Obviously, in the end choice is going to be mine, but if vetting girls for me makes them happy then I see no problem in that."

I took a moment to process his words.

"And out of all the girls you've seen, you want me?" I questioned.

"I do."

"But you do know that I don't want to marry."

"Then maybe I've found someone worth fighting for."

I swear with the way this guy was going soon I'd be having a heart attack. I looked away, not knowing what to make of our situation. I liked Antarang, but a marriage was too much, given where I wanted to head in my life.

"Again, I don't want to marry-"

"Okay, I can respect that."

"Really?"

"Yes. But then you have to give me your words that you won't marry anyone else either. I am willing to wait for you. Hell, if things were different then I too prefer more dates like this to know each other better before jumping into the big commitment. I have no problem in putting a stop to all this marriage crap if you too can say no to your parents."

"I-I can't," I stuttered, "my father will have my head."

"You're a grown woman."

"I know I'm a grown woman!" My voice raised in frustration. "You don't understand." He didn't. He didn't live with my family, I did. "It's not easy to refuse them. They'll convince me somehow... Papa wouldn't listen..."

"That's what I gathered," Antarang concluded, his brown eyes softening. "Even if I say no it wouldn't make much difference to your situation. You'd be getting wedded either way. If that's the case then I'd rather be the groom. I don't want to see you with another man." Okay, he was persistent.

"Why you're so hung up on me? I'm just making things complicated for you. You can easily find a better and willing bride."

"You're making me repeat the same thing Kashvi." His lips curved into a small smirk. "I like you, more than like you. I've never felt like this for someone else before."

My pulse quickened each time he confessed.

"Let me make one thing clear," he continued, noting my hesitation, "I'm nothing like your father. I won't stop you from going after your ambitions. And of course, babies can wait until you're ready... I don't want to control you Princess, I just want you."

"You're not giving up, are you?" I smiled.

Antarang shook his head. "Now don't make me sound desperate here woman. I'm the CEO of million dollar company. Rubbing my nose at your feet for a yes is going to be a little too much."

I couldn't stop the chuckle slipping past me. My stomach was fluttering, my face was red as a tomato, and my heart hadn't returned to its normal pace. He really would give me a heart attack.

Just as I was about to speak, the waiter came with our order. I watched as he placed the plates on table. A slight twitch of his jaw let me know Antarang was irritated at the interruption. I suppressed a smile at that.

We thanked the waiter as he left. Once we were alone I felt Antarang's eager eyes on me. I wanted to tease him a little- like he did to me all the time. I took a sip of my cappuccino, pretending to be engrossed in it. A minute passed in silence. And then another.

"Kashvi," came his impatient gruff voice.

"Let's have more dates like this before our wedding," I finally said.

Antarang beamed, all his teeth shining brightly, and honestly I had never seen a more beautiful sight.

******

Sanskaari- cultured, or in indian terms goody two shoes