Chapter 27 - The End

TW in the description

Thank you to mr_Bluz for the art!

Alberto POV

The first sense to come back was sound.

The overly familiar sound of a heart monitor beeping in the distance. The sound of oxygen flowing into the mask on his face and the chatter of people around him.

These were comforting sounds. Because they meant.. he was alive. Alive when, by the laws of this world, he should be dead.

But he didn't do it on his own.

Someone saved him.

And Alberto didn't have to open his eyes to know that person was right beside him. Also, waking for the first time in a long time.

Because they were connected, mind, body, and spirit.

A Life Bond forged on the precipice of death.

Alberto blinked open his eyes and made sure the first thing he saw was the golden-brown eyes of his mate. Of Luca.

Luca already had his head turned, looking at him.

"I promise to wake by your side for the rest of your days," Alberto said through the Bond.

It came easily, like they were meant to have it. No practice needed. This Bond.. it belonged to them.

It was them.

"And I promise to be in your arms," Luca replied, the touch of his mind as smooth as silk.

Alberto reached a hand to his mate. And they clasped. Feeling the heartbeat of the other.

Lulling them to peaceful rest.

~.~.~.~.~

The next time Alberto woke, he was partially sitting up, his hospital bed propped high.

He blinked awake to see a very unshaven Mattias staring at him.

Alberto smirked at him, pulling the oxygen mask from his face.

"If I'd known your face was the first I'd see, I'd have slept longer."

Mattias let out a strangled laugh. But instead of a sassy remark or a strategically placed insult, Mattias shocked Alberto. The doctor wrapped his arms around him. Alberto was surprised to find himself hugging Mattias back.

"Man. I must have really scared you for you to be so sappy on me," Alberto said sneakily, but didn't let go.

"You... you have no idea," Mattias said hastily breaking away and wiping his eyes.

"It's good to see you again," Alberto said, and he meant it. Every word.

"You too."

Then the doctor turned to see Luca's brown eyes.

"You scared me to death." Mattias said.

"I know," Luca said, eyes remorseful.

Luca took a labored breath, his eyes glossy.

"Thank you, Mattias. I knew that our survival hinged on you. And I'm sorry that I threw that on you."

Mattias shook his head.

"You took years off my life. But I would have given them anyway to see you two alive and well again."

He gave one final stare at the both of them as though convincing himself this was real that they were ok.

"We aren't going to disappear on you." Alberto teased.

"For a while there, I wasn't so sure," Mattias said, rubbing his lengthy beard.