Chapter 3

TW in the description

Thank you to Inkendz and Choo_arts for both pieces! You can find Choo's art on Patreon!

Alberto POV

Cairo proceeded to tell them everything about the island except, of course, where to find it. He said he would lead them there himself and refused to give a location. He told them that Merpeople of all species were gathering there. Some had nowhere else to go, but others voluntarily left their homes to fight. They intended to take out the Visconti stronghold. An attack that would cripple them permanently. An attack on Portorosso.

When he told them all he could, they sent him back to the servants' house. They needed time to think. To discuss. They gathered in the pool house since there was too much glass littering the kitchen. Mattias's workers already began cleaning and repairing the damage. Alberto saw Eshe's eyes look at the destruction remorsefully but she said nothing. And neither did Mattias.

Alberto thought that the doctor might have some negative reaction to what could only be described as a massacre to his home. But he didn't say a word. Mattias understood what Eshe needed, and was happy to make the sacrifice. Alberto wondered what kind of person that made Mattias. A good one.

Mattias understood her anger and the need to release it. They all did. That's why nobody stopped her.

Alberto, Giulia, and Mattias sat at a table by the edge of the pool, the sound of the waterfall splashing beside them. Eshe and Luca opted to float in the water, their Sireno and Rusalka forms looking up at them.

"Think he is telling the truth?" Giulia asked.

"Why would he lie?" Mattias replied.

"Well, first, because he is a lying dirtbag. But second, maybe he is just trying to trick Alberto into coming back into his life."

"I don't think he is lying," Luca said. He had gone the most silent after Cairo left. "I think there really is an island where more of us are gathering."

"So - what? We go there?" Giulia asked.

"I doubt we would be welcome. It sounds like this is a Sireni gathering only." Mattias said, crossing his arms. "He would probably take Eshe, Alberto, and Luca and swim to the island."

"But Alberto can't...." Giulia trailed off as Alberto looked down.

"Even if I could change, I wouldn't go. Not with him. Not ever." Alberto bit out angrily. "But... I can't deny that he is right. We are exposed here. It's only a matter of time before someone finds us."

"Then where do we go?" Eshe asked.

Nobody had an answer.

"We don't need to come up with a solution now. We have a lot to think about." Mattias said. "But in the meantime, I am going to have to stop sending supplies to Protorosso. The risk of one of my men being followed is too high. I'll also add twenty-four-hour guards around the house."

It was a start. Not a solution, but at least they could take precautionary measures.

"I want to talk to him some more," Alberto said.

Everyone looked at him, surprised.

"Just a second ago, I thought Eshe was going to kill him," Mattias said. "Now, you want to talk?"

"I... I need to clear up some things. Not for him. But for me."

Mattias chewed the inside of his cheek, like he was debating whether not to object to the idea. But finally, he nodded.