Chapter 9.9

TW in the description
No Art for this section!

(6 Years ago)
Eshe POV

Eshe grew up alone in her tribe. With her mother gone, leaving nothing behind but her legacy and Alberto kidnapped by their father, Eshe was forced to grow up. Fast.

But never once did she want someone to swoop in and take care of her. Many families tried, especially when she was younger. But she refused help of any kind. She hunted for herself and trained hard. Eshe refused to depend on anyone, no matter the cost, because she had one goal in mind. To wipe her father from her history - and to find her brother, Alberto.

After the burial of her mother, Eshe returned to the empty home. She looked over at Alberto's now vacant bed. The loneliness threatened to smother her and, she collapsed. Eshe cried late into the night, desperate for her brother. Desperate to see Alberto again.

But the next morning, there were no tears. No puffy eyes. No evidence at all that Eshe had collapsed in on herself that night. Because from that moment on, she vowed never to cry again. Never to need anyone ever again. Never to love anyone ever again.

She would find her brother, and that was all she cared about.

The moment she saw her thirteenth winter, she was allowed to enlist herself in their warrior camp. All Rusalki were expected to know how to fight and fight well. But only a select few were given the chance to train for the title of "Warrior." Being the daughter of Oksana, the most renowned Warrior in their century, she was admitted on tradition alone. But she wasn't going to let her mother's legacy carry her through the ranks. She was going to prove she was the best - on her own merit.

Only the largest or the most clever Rusalki were even given the chance to train in their ancient ways. But not all survived the training. Their lives from the age of thirteen to twenty were so brutal; many Rusalki died from the strain. The weak were quickly gone, leaving only the strongest and proudest Rusalki to represent them all.

All the Rusalki were big, mean, and loud. But Eshe refused to be this way. She would be like her mother. Cool, calm, and collected, but never caught unaware. Always ready to attack with the ferocity of her entire tribe. That's why when she came of age at fifteen and had earned the right to bare ink, the serpent with knowing eyes was her first choice. Only a select few are given the honor of getting ink on their skin. But the males usually take this glory, being naturally larger than the females. Eshe didn't care. She won every brawl, every test of strength. If she wasn't larger, she would be smarter. If she wasn't smarter, she would let the fire in her eyes force her opponent into submission. Only two Rusalka in the history of their people were ever given ink. That was Oksana and her daughter Eshe. It was a sign for all to see. And a message. That Eshe was not to be messed with or underestimated.

However, being the most powerful female in her tribe came at a price. Males came at her the moment she saw her twentieth winter. They showered her with ingenuine praises, gave her gifts trying to entice a courting, and in general - bothered the living hell out of Eshe. She turned each one away without a second glance. Those that were truly determined challenged Eshe to the sparing ring to fight for her affection. Mostly they fought each other while Eshe only half paid attention - because it didn't matter who won. She wouldn't pick either of them.

But her favorite challenges were when they called her into the ring. Rather than fight another suitor, the Rusal would challenge her directly. A fierce light entered her eyes when she received these summons. She wanted to prove that none of them were worthy of her. That she was the strongest in their tribe, regardless of gender. And that she would have none of them.