Chapter 19

TW in the description
Thank you to hobbicatto (Allen) for the art!

Luca POV

It took Luca a few hours to fully come to himself. At first, he could only manage a few short phrases before forgetting what he was saying. But as time passed, his mind sharpened. He only half-remembered Alberto's body wracked with sobs at his recovery and was only partially aware when Ksenya helped to take out the feeding tube from his nose.

Luca sputtered as the last of the plastic tubing was pulled out.

"That was unpleasant."

"Sorry, I did it exactly how Mattias described. It didn't hurt, did it?" Ksenya asked as she discarded the transparent plastic.

"No, no, I'm fine," Luca said with a smile.

Eshe bent over him, eyes inspecting his face. He leaned back deeper in his pillows, a little overwhelmed by her examination. Then she took two fingers and pinched his arm, hard.

"Ow!" Luca said, flinching.

"He is fine," Eshe confirmed with a nod.

"You could have just asked," Alberto said, glaring at his sister.

"Too many words." She said, flipping her long hair behind her shoulder and exiting the room.

"I'm so happy you're awake; Eshe would have been devastated to lose a brother," Ksenya said, giving him a little kiss on the cheek before leaving.

Luca smiled after the two females, glad to have them in his life.

"She didn't have to slobber on you," Alberto said, wiping the spot on Luca's cheek where Ksenya left a kiss.

"Alberto, stop!" Luca said with a half-laugh, pushing his hand away.

"I'm the only one allowed to kiss you." Alberto said with a grin.

Luca's eyes fell to his hands.

"Yeah. I guess." He said, his voice growing somber

"What do you mean, "I guess"?" Alberto asked.

"What I mean is, you and I aren't mates anymore, Alberto. We aren't tied to each other. We are separate." Luca could barely get out the last word before his eyes began to gloss over. He shook his head, forcing it away.

"Anyway, it's not like we can do anything about it now."

"Luca...." Alberto placed his hand over the Sireno. "I know we lost something. A big something. But that doesn't mean we aren't mates anymore. We are exactly how we would have been without the black box. Together and Unbonded."

But Luca turned his head away.

"It's not the same, Alberto. You and I... we knew how that felt. How amazing it was. To suddenly go back to a regular Unbonded relationship - can we even do that?"

"You're right. It won't be the same. And... and that is my fault." Alberto's voice cracked.

Luca already heard the story. Alberto told him about the deep and the trial of the jellyfish the indigenous put him through. He told him about the pain of the stings and feeling the Bond break. Luca knew that pain. It had driven him to unspeakable actions. But that wasn't what had inflicted the most painful wound in his heart.

"You did what you had to do. I understand that." Luca took a deep breath, trying to hold back his emotion and remain rational. "But you did it alone, Alberto."

Alberto stilled, not saying anything.

"You... stabbed me. You left me here. Even after you promised you wouldn't. You lied to me."