Chapter 4

TW in the description
Thank you to hobbicatto (Allen) for the art!

Luca POV

Luca ran. He didn't know where he was going. He just needed to go. To get out. What happened... he couldn't even process it.

Alberto was in pain - but he took that pain out on Luca.

The cold cut at Luca's tear-streaked face as he ran from the house. He didn't notice Lake Como's frozen surface as he ran up the hill and down the path leading to town. The frigid air stung his lungs as he sucked in breath.

(Credit to: hobbicatto on Instagram)

When he couldn't run any longer, he slowed, panting hard. The village was busy. It was the first time Luca saw it. But there was no room in his mind to enjoy the festivities. He has to find somewhere to be alone. To think.

To hurt.

He shivered as the winter air cut into him. He didn't grab a jacket as he ran from the house. His bare arms were exposed to the cold. People noticed. They stared as they passed by, seeing how poorly dressed he was for the weather and his apparent distress.

"Forget your jacket il ragazzo?" A man said from behind Luca.

"Yes, I must have left it at the house—" Luca's words trailed off as he turned.

The man wore a black leather vest with the Visconti emblem marked into the chest.

"I haven't seen you in town before." He said, eyeing Luca again. "Did you just arrive?"

"Y-yes," Luca said, trying to hide the fear in his voice.

"Did you come for the light festival tonight?"

"I did," Luca said, not knowing what a light festival was but agreed with the man anyway. He had to get away.

"Interesting." The man said. He took a long drink from a coffee cup. "Because the light festival was last week."

Then he threw the cup at Luca.

Luca cried out as the boiling liquid hit him, scalding his arm.

Jade scales came to life on his skin.

"Thought so." The man said with an evil glare. He pulled a silver blade from his belt.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Luca slipped on the ice as he tried to escape. He fell, hitting his chin on the rock hard surface. Stars danced in his eyes as the man pulled him up by his hair, pressing the silver blade to his throat.

"Nothing to see here!" He yelled as passerby's hurried to get out of the way. "This is Visconti company business!" He said, dragging Luca with him.

Luca struggled but felt the sharp tip of the knife cut into his neck.