Chapter 5

TW in the description
Thank you to Inkendz and mr_bluz for the art!

Mattias POV

(Song: Come Follow Me Down by George Taylor - "Mattias's Theme")

Mattias and Giulia sold the van to a traveler that took it away from the coast. They used the money to buy a weathered truck that smelled of rotten fish.

Once they returned to the sea shack, Mattias saw that everyone had gone to bed. It was a long day for them all. He didn't worry about dinner. He was sure nobody would eat it anyway.

"Good night." He said to Giulia as she entered her and Eshe's room.

"Sleep tight." She said, her voice tired.

Mattias settled himself on the moth-eaten sofa in the middle of the main room. It grew dark as the night wore on, and the wind made a loud howling sound against the thin walls. It was cold, but there was no fireplace. They would have to suffer through it.

Just when he was about to fall asleep under thin blankets, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He jumped a little, surprised to see someone standing by him.

"Easy. It's only me." Eshe said.

"What's wrong?" Mattias said, fearing the worst.

"I refuse to share a sleeping space with anyone," she said plainly.

Mattias knew that each room only had one bed. He figured Giulia would be ok to share with Eshe.

"So why are you waking me up about it?" He said, a bit irritated.

"Switch with me."

At his shocked expression, she rolled her eyes.

"You two are courting one another, aren't you? Just do it. I won't tell Alberto.  But make sure you wake up before him in the morning."

"Oh..." Mattias weighed his options. "Fine then." He said decidedly and let Eshe take his place on the couch.

He quietly entered the room, closing the squeaky door behind him. Giulia was sitting up in the dimly lit room.

"Did Eshe steal your couch?" She said with a smirk.

"Looks like it," Mattias said. "You're stuck with me again."

Giulia gave him a brilliant smile. Mattias felt his throat tighten. Her smile was like a sunbeam. No matter how dark things were, her smile could illuminate anything or anyone.

"That's ok. I was hoping I would get to share a bed with you again." Then she added. "But stay to your side. And keep your hands to yourself." She said, rolling so that her back was to him.

"Wouldn't dream of it." He crept under the covers, turning out their week lamp.

Despite being exhausted, Mattias couldn't relax. Anytime he let his mind wander, he started to think about the woman lying only a few inches away. He listened to her even breaths. He couldn't tell if she was asleep yet.

"Keep it together." He thought to himself.

Mattias couldn't remember the last time he felt like this. Such a powerful longing. A desire to be with someone. To open up and let someone into his life. To share that life with them. He sighed.

"It's been a while."

He shifted under the covers again, trying to find a position that would allow him to find sleep.

"Mattias? Are you awake?" Giulia's voice broke the silence.

"Yes." He said immediately.

"I can't sleep," She whispered.