Chapter 20

TW in the description
Thank you to Hobbicatto (Allen) for the art!

Giulia POV

Giulia could only see the inside of the bag covering her head. She couldn't yell due to the gag that filled her mouth, nearly choking her. Her arms were tied behind her back with plastic zip ties that cut into her skin. Rough hands shoved her forward, half dragging her into a building with echoing halls.

She was shoved against a wall and forced to sit.

"Let's let her talk." An oily voice said not far in front of her.

Someone jerked the cloth gag from her mouth, and she sputtered, taking heaving breaths. Still blinded by the bag, she couldn't see her captors.

"Let me go! You can't take me like —,"

Smack!

A hand hit her on the face so hard that Giulia saw stars in her eyes.

"That was a light one, Spewlia. Next one will knock out teeth."

She coughed, her head ringing.

"Let me look at her face." The voice ordered.

The black bag was ripped off her head, pulling a few strings of hair out as it went. Giulia blinked at the two forms before her.

A tall man with a surprisingly boyish features (despite the beard covering his face) was close to her, holding the bag. He must be the one that hit her. And leaning casually against a dresser was the one giving the orders.

"Ercole," Giulia said his name like a curse.

"Oh yes. It is me. I would say it is good to see you again, but it isn't. Not for you anyway."

Ercole was covered all in black, including the signature Visconti vest. The rearing lion on a sash of purple embroidered onto the chest.

(Credit to: Hobbicatto (Allen) on Instagram)

"What do you want with me?" She asked, struggling against her bands, only to feel the plastic cut deeper into her wrists.

"Let's not play games. You know what I want. Where are your Sea Monster friends?"

Giulia gaped. How... how did he know they were alive? Shouldn't he think they died in the explosion?

At her shocked expression, Ercole gave a laugh that made Giulia's skin crawl.

"Oh yes, I know they survived that disaster. One of my men claimed to have caught the little Picoletto, only to be attacked by the bigger one. And if that wasn't proof enough - a little fishy told me about your journey to the sea, searching for more of those monsters."

"How- how did you—?" Giulia began, her mouth dry.

"Oh, I will reveal all! Be patient. Lean back, relax. I mean, this must be the most luxury you have seen in your life, right? Oh, daughter of a fishmonger." He said as he raised his arms, gesturing to the lavish room around them.