Chapter 54

In Silence - Janet Suhh

(Y/N's POV)

The hum of your car's engine comes to an abrupt end as you turn the keys in the ignition. Aware of the silence that takes its place — you stare at your dashboard, then your hand that still rests on the steering wheel before slowly bringing it down.

It's quiet as you take in your surroundings. The driveway leading up to the garage in front, your family's house right next to it. In the living room, the lights are still on. Visible through the transparency and cracks in the curtains. Your parents must be awake.

You don't want to walk into that house. Not when you feel so terrible already. It's like walking into an interrogation room and then, if you're lucky, you'll get to go to your bedroom without feeling angry or upset from an argument. For now, you bask in the lonely yet peaceful silence of your car sitting outside.

The skin between your toes feels slippery and cool. You glance down to look at your feet, clad in the sandals you put on after getting in your car by the end of the night. Your feet were aching from your high heels. And speaking of those high heels — you turn to pick them up from the back seat. As you scan their exterior, especially the affected area, you sigh deeply.

One of the thin heels broke after your desperate (and, if you may add, embarrassing) sprint through the hotel lobby onto the street. Just as you finished feeling sorry for yourself and started walking back into the lobby, your right heel gave up. It was almost laughable the way it cracked and your ankle gave way too.

Just my luck.

It's a miracle you didn't burst into tears right then and there on the street. Nothing ever seems to go your way, and as time has gone by, you've never felt so hopeless.

You toss the heels to the passenger seat beside you, then lean forward, resting your forehead against the steering wheel.

There was a bigger chance that it wasn't her — yes, this is what you want to believe. You might have confused that woman tonight with Rosie because some part deep inside of you wished it was her. Maybe it was all the talking with Emma about your past that caused you to think this way, to foolishly believe a mysterious unknown woman was your ex secretly watching you. It's quite delusional, isn't it? A bit on the egotistical side of things as well. To think that such a busy woman like Rosie would randomly show up for you.

She's got places to be and people to see. Photoshoots, campaigns, meetings, and studio sessions in Seoul and Los Angeles. Fashion shows in the capitals like New York and Paris. Her career has grown exponentially. In terms of where you fall under all that, you'd feel lucky if the thought of you crossed her mind for even a mere moment.

Still, it's not as random as one would think. Rosie knew about Sam and Kevin. She supported their relationship and helped to keep it hidden, even from you. You're not sure whether Rosie has kept in contact with either of them but it's not impossible. However, this also means she was ignoring you and left without saying hello.

You furrow your eyebrows and lift your head.

What does seem impossible is that you didn't recognize her. You think back to what she was wearing, the shape of her body and the hourglass curves on her hips — trying to match it to memory. Her long limbs, delicate hands, and most importantly, her brunette hair.