Part 13

Dinner that night seemed awkward. Nesta had joined us, so had lucien. Though i avoided both, something happened to nesta in the cauldron and it was unsettling to feel whatever she stole from the cauldron, and i still didn't like lucien. Rhysand of course spent an hour trying to get me to join the group, i managed to get a new set of daggers out of him for agreeing.

"Why do your eyes glow?" Nesta asked amren.

"You know, non of these busybodies have ever asked me that." Amren mused. "But they glow because it was the one part of me the containment spell could not get quite right. The one glimpse into what lies beneath."

"And what is beneath." I felt it again, the flicker of power that had me tense in my seat.

"Only althea had dared ask me that." Amren gave me a small smile.

"Why?"

"Because it is not polite to ask, and they are afraid. But Althea is something more, like me she was trapped in a body that wasn't truly hers, lucky for her she's been awoken." Amrens toothy smile dripped with blood.

"We are the same you and i." Amren said to nesta. "Not in flesh, not in the thing the prowls beneath our skin and bones.... But i see the kernel girl. You did not fit the mold that they shoved you into. The path you were born upon and forced to walk. You tried, and yet you did not, could not fit. And then the path changed. I know — what it is to be that way. I remember it, long ago as it was." Amren said to nesta.

"I dont know what your talking about." Nesta stated after a long pause of silence.

"When you erupt, girl, make sure its felt across the worlds." Amren said.

"Amren, it seems, has been taking drama lesson at the theatre down the street from her house." Rhysand tried to break the tension.

"I mean it Rhysand." Amren warned.

"Im sure you do, But I'd prefer to eat something before you make us loose our appetites." Rhysand said. It was to overwhelming, the power that danced in the air, it seeped under my skin. The glass of wine broke in my grasp.

"Im sorry." I breathed, ice. My breath came out ice cold. I put the glass down and turned to leave Rhysand following behind me.

"Thea?" He asked.

"Its to much." I said, i wrapped my arms around myself trying not to shiver.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I can feel it, from Feyre. All of it. Every magic that is possessed by people in the room it was like i was absorbing it all. It was to much." I explained.

"We will figure this out. I promise." Rhysand placed his hand on my shoulder. "Whatever is going in with you we will figure it out and you will learn to control it."

"Im going to bed." I mumbled.

"Shall i send Azriel?"

"No, i will be okay." I smiled, nodding we went our separate ways.

"Shall i join you?" Azriel asked down the bond.

"Enjoy intimidating Lucien for me." I mused, amusement came down the bond as i climbed into the warm sheets.

After a few hours i felt Azriel climb in bed beside me. Smiling i rolled over into his arms and made myself comfortable.

"We go to hewn city in two days." He mumbled into my hair.

"Hm. Is mor okay?" I asked. I knew mor wouldn't be happy about the trip, i don't think anyone is.

"On edge, but you know how she is." He said.

"Im teaching feyre to fly, so you may have to do some of my runs for me." He said.

"Wait," i sat up. "My sister is going to learn to fly?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes, as i learnt to fly later in life, I thought it would make sense for me to teach her." He said, i slowly nodded. He sat up beside me and pulled me into his chest.

"Will this help her?" I asked.

"Any advantage we can give her is worth it." He said.

"Well then I suppose i can take up some of your work." I said.

"Will you be okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, feyre needs any advantage she can get, I'll go pester amren if i get bored." I shrugged. We slowly laid back down wrapped in each other's embrace.

"Promise me something." I said.

"Hm."

"Look after my sisters, especially elain." I said. "When this war comes you protect them first."

"Ill protect you to." He said.

"I will protect myself, you will help my sisters." I told him.

"Fine, only if you promise to always find a way back to me." He whispered pressing a soft kiss below my ear.

"I will always come back to you." I promised, them i felt it. The bargain tattoo down my spine, id have to check in the morning what was engraved into my skin.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you to."