~Collars and Chains~

Y/n POV:

"Bwah! Housewarden!" Ace shouted in shock. Riddle's face had a deep scowl as he angrily crossed his arms. His grey eyes glared at the freshman, making even me want to do something to lessen the intense staring.

"Hey, Riddle! What's shakin', pal? You're lookin' adorbs, as always!" Cater nervously exclaimed, clearly trying to soothe or calm Riddle. However, the compliments did not work.

"Hmph. Cater, keep running that mouth and you'll lose it— along with the rest of your head," Riddle threatened, causing Cater to regret his words.

"Sorry, sorry! My bad!" Cater apologized.

'I wonder what he'll say if I compliment him like that?' I wondered as a playful smirk made its way to my face.

"Riddle, I haven't seen you in that uniform in a while. I never noticed how well it fits you. And did you do something different with your hair? It looks... cuter in a way," I calmly said, trying my best to compliment the redhead. Riddle turned his attention towards me, lessening his glare for a moment before staring daggers at me.

"Flattery, no matter how tasteful, will not help anyone escape punishment," he replied before looking back at Ace.

'Well, I tried,' I thought while letting out a quiet sigh. 'Seems my ass-kissing is not on point today...'

"Myah?! You're the guy who put that stupid collar on me at the ceremony!" Grim exclaimed.

"And you're the new students who were nearly expelled yesterday. I'll ask that you not refer to my signature spell as a 'stupid collar'," Riddle responded and I felt that he was about to give the newbies a lecture. "The headmage's habit of tolerating rulebreakers like you is going to send this entire campus into chaos one day. Those who break the rules should have their heads removed immediately, without exception," he explained, making me slightly shiver at his ideas.

'Not gonna mention to him that I chained and gagged a younger student then...' 

Riddle had never seemed to hide his intense desire for peace and order, but I hadn't ever seen him in a way where I needed to fear him. I wouldn't say I was ignorant of what happened in dorms separate from my own, but because I wasn't in Heartslabyul, I never needed to worry about Riddle making me follow the Queen of Heart's rules. Or even his own rules for that matter. However, something about the way he spoke to the freshmen and had collared Ace over a piece of tart made me start to view him differently.

"Dude, seriously? This guy looks like a wimp, but he talks like a monster!" Ace whisper-shouted, loud enough for everyone at the table to hear him, but quiet enough for his words not to reach Riddle.

"The headmage may have forgiven you, but if you break any further rules, I assure you I will not," Riddle finished his speech, his eyebrows furrowed in displeasure and his face wearing a discontented expression.

"So, uh, listen, housewarden, sir... Any chance I could get you to remove this collar?" Ace awkwardly asked, an 'innocent' smile on his face while he rubbed the back of his neck where the bulky collar met his skin. His words almost made me laugh, seeing as he was completely trying to brush past the fact that he had been insulting the red-haired housewarden.

"I had intended to remove it once you'd taken an opportunity to reflect upon your crimes. But I've not detected so much as a hint of remorse in the foolishness I've heard you spout today. So I think I'll let you keep that for a while," Riddle told Ace, making the orangish red-haired student's face fall. "Don't worry. The freshman curriculum is more focused on magical theory than practice. And your inability to use magic will help prevent incidents along the lines of what happened yesterday," the redhead continued, clearly not causing Ace to feel any better about his situation. "Now, if you've finished your meal, you should quit gossiping and prepare for your next class. Rule 271 is quite clear: 'One must leave the table within fifteen minutes of completing their lunch.' You DO understand what happens rulebreakers, I trust?" Riddle finished, very obviously threatening the first-years.