My Beating Heart Belongs To You - Chapter Eighteen

Chapter title credit;

"Last Night On Earth" - Green Day

In honor of Alex and Lisa's engagement, I'm releasing this chapter early c:

LEAH

JANUARY 13th - 11:23 AM

"Guess what day it is?!" I jumped on Jack's bed excitedly. "Hump day?" He groaned. "No." I stopped and glared at him. "It's my birthday."

"I know, I'm just kidding." He smiled at me. "Get your butt up. We have to decorate." I took the blanket off him. "I have to decorate; you have to get ready." He sat up. "So do you. You're only wearing boxer-briefs." I crossed my arms over my chest and he looked down then back up. "And?"

I laughed and watched as Mr. Nubs crawled into his lap, curling up then falling asleep. "Oh no you don't." I picked him up and took him to my room with me. I could hear Jack laughing as I closed the door.

-

I decided on wearing a strapless black dress that puffs out on the bottom with black knee high socks and dark red heels. I put on a bunch of bracelets, two layered necklaces, and wore my signature red lip makeup.

Zack wanted to be the photographer of the night, so I made sure to bring my Polaroid camera downstairs with me.

I helped Jack set up and we got done around 2:12 PM, which was perfect timing.

"Now you're actually shoulder-height." He joked. I fake laughed and flipped him off.

Not shortly after there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see Zack and Cherry standing there.

"Hey!" I hugged Cherry then Zack. "I can't believe that you're twenty-two." Cherry said. "You're not far behind." I nudged her. "Ugh, don't remind me." She groaned.

"And for you.." I looked at Zack and handed him my camera. "It's yours for the night. Just take care of it."

"Of course I will." He admired it and I chuckled at him.

A couple minutes after they arrived, Rian and Cassadee came. I hugged them both and talked with them. I didn't want a huge party, just our little circle of friends was enough.

--

It was an hour into the party and Alex still hadn't showed up. I thought it was shitty to be late to your best friends birthday party unless it was due to a good reason.

--

It's now been three hours and there was a knock on the door.

I answered it and glared at the person that was standing there. "Look who decided to show up."

"I know that I'm late and I'm really sorry."

"You're not just a little late either. You're three hours late, Alex."

"I had a bit of a mishap.." He trailed off. "Mishap?" I narrowed my eyes. "Well, I got really drunk last night and brought a girl back to my house; when I woke up, she was still there. So I had to fight with her to leave then get myself ready." He explained. "Cause that's such a good excuse." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Do you know how douchey you sound right now?"

"No."

I huffed and turned around, walking back to where I previously was.

"He finally showed up?" Cherry asked. "Yeah. What a friend, right?" I said sarcastically.

I avoided him for most of the night, the only time I made eye contact was when everyone was singing happy birthday.

We all ate cake and washed it down with some sort of alcohol. My choice? Blueberry vodka mixed with lemonade Kool-Aid. You can never go wrong with it. I usually drink either that or just a plain beer.