Spirits In the Night

Sam and I got the candles while also taking a little detour. We were running low on holy water so we had to go to the nearby Catholic church to get some. Once that was done, we picked up some extra salt in the off chance that we may have to use it. I wasn't sure how well it'll work considering shadow people are a different speciesism, but it didn't hurt to try. Walking back to the O'Malley residence, I kept my mind open in case the shadow people decide to make a return so soon. So far, nothing, but I started to hear music play in every house and business.

"It's too early...yet they're playing 'Papa Don't Scare Me,'" I said.

"There were no attacks last night, so these people probably thought that the song worked and wanted to get started soon," Sam said.

"Well, once we perform the ritual, the shadow people should be banished for good...at least these particular ones. There's a chance that others will come, but they'll at least cause a different kind of haunting than what's happening right now."

"What I don't understand is...how the Mafia managed to get the shadow people to listen to them."

Sam stopped in his tracks to look at me. "Rose...tell me...can humans control shadow people and have them do their bidding?"

I nodded. "It's very advanced magic but it is possible. There's a spell that ties down wild spirits, shadow people being one of them."

"How advanced are we talking?" Sam asked.

"My best guess...probably someone who has ties to Lucifer himself, or at least a very powerful demon," I said.

"Jesus Christ..."

We continued to walk to the O'Malley's, Sam still processing what I just told him. "You shouldn't be surprised Sam. I mean...look at what we do..." I gestured to the candles and holy water in the bag, the salt being in another one, "You really are surpirsed that people can have shadow people do the dirty work?"

"Not surprised," he said, "Just...concerned. I'm nervous that there may be more cases like this as we go along...because someone summoned them."

"The only way they could get shadow people this powerful is if they knew how to do the spell, as I said," I explained, "In fact, the spell is so advanced that not even the most powerful witches could do it. They have to get the right connection in order to do it."

I looked over at Sam, seeing that his expression finally started to relax a bit. I put the bag carrying the candles and holy water in my left hand, using my right hand to reach for Sam's. He immediately intertwined his fingers with mine like he did earlier, and I couldn't help but smile. My heart began to race a bit and my face felt warm, but I had to focus to make sure these shadow people were not sneaking up on us.

Once we reached the O'Malley residence, we immediately went to work. Dean, Sam and Seamus helped Mrs. O'Malley set up her bedroom as a safe space. We decided that it may be better off if she was not in the same room as Officer O'Malley when the shadow people come. The kids were at their grandparents who lived outside of the city limits, so we didn't have to worry about them getting hurt.

I lit the candles up, and they gave off a lovely lavender scent. I figured that they would be a good choice for this. Pleasant smelling items will often make a more positive energy, and my God do those shadow people hate that.

"So this is what you do?" Officer O'Malley asked, "You...hunt things like this?"

Once I finished the candles, I got the salt and began to barricade the area. "Something like that," I said, "I don't want to get into too much detail on what we do because too much information will put you a bit more at risk than you are right now."