Hey You

The Next Day

We headed over to the post office in the Impala. It was a little bit outside Chicago in a more run down neighborhood, not much different from when it first opened in the 1890s. I clutched a rosary in my hand while Sam sat in the back with me, holding my hand and stroking it with his thumb in an effort to help me calm down.

Even with all the research we have done yesterday, I still didn't feel prepared to face whatever it is we needed to face. I also kept going back to the conversation Sam and I had last night. Could some of the recent men who disappeared still be alive, or am I getting my hopes up?

"How you holding up back there, kid?" Dean asked.

"Nervous," I said, "I'm worried that...whatever this is will get to either you or Sam. You both may not be in the age range but like I said, they aren't going to be too thrilled about us snooping around, especially you two."

"So we can agree: no splitting up," Dean said.

"Would put my mind at ease," I said, "I'll take the lead the best I can, see if I can trace the entities and we can help put them to rest."

Those plans, however, were going to have to be put on hold. Once we found a parking space and got out of the Impala, a woman ran up to us crying hysterically.

"Please! Please! Help me!" she said.

Her frantic state managed to get past my wall that I put up to avoid dark entities.

"My son! He....he went in the post office....he was playing with his friends and when he got in, they heard him scream!" she said.

Dean, Sam and I looked at each other, confused as to how a child managed to sneak into the post office easily despite the fact that it was shut down for crime investigators.

"Ma'am, have you talked to the police?" Dean said.

"The police don't care about us!" she said, "They only...just please help me! I have no one else to turn to!"

I took the woman by the hands and smiled reassuringly. "It's okay, miss," I said, "We'll find your son. What's his name?"

"Justin," she said.

I looked over to Sam and Dean. Letting go of the woman's hands, I huddled with the both of them.

"I have to go in," I said, "I can trace the boy by tracking his emotions and see what spirits we are dealing with."

"Okay," Dean said, "So...what are you suggesting?"

"One of you come with me. The other will stay with the mother."

"I'll go," Sam immediately volunteered.

"No, I'll go. You're better with people most of the time anyways," Dean said.

Sam gave Dean a little glare before putting out his hand in a fist.

Oh great. Here we go again with the rock paper scissors.

Sam, of course, won.

Dean groaned as Sam and I turned towards the post office.

"You kids be careful!" he shouted before going to the woman.

Sam and I went to the front of the post office, trying to find some kind of opening that didn't involve the front door as it was blocked off. We looked for some kind of basement door or window that a young child could potentially crawl in and out of, but there was only concrete.

My eyes landed on a part of the building that had a bit of a hill on it. The window was wide open, too. This would allow anyone to get into the building.