What's That Smell

"I wonder what time it is. Shouldn't Maka be here already? It's like 3 A.M. now." He said while still waking up from his nap. "That was a weird nightmare too. I wonder. I feel like I met that guy before. This dream is getting weirder, but, somehow, I can't remember anything from that dream." He said getting up and turning off the TV.

"Maybe I should go to the Academy to make sure that she is alright." He said while putting on his coat, putting the food away, and getting his keys for the motorcycle.

He reaches the Academy and parks his motorcycle in the parking lot. He walks in and starts looking around. First he goes to their classroom to see if she is still organizing papers. She's not there. Maybe she might still be in the Janitor room. He starts to walk downstairs to the basement towards the Janitor's room.

He knocks on the door a few times to let them know that he is coming in. Before he opens the door, he smells a weird smell from the door. Maybe they sprayed something to get rid of that old janitor and mold smell. He opens the door and says, "I'm coming in."

There looks like to be no one in here. He looks for someone now. He looks at the table and sees something there. He sees Maka's purse there. Soul starts to think the worst now. What happened to Maka? Did she get kidnapped? "Maka? Are you here? Maka?!" he starts to look around and panics knowing that something has happened to Maka.

I need to inform Kid right away. He can probably help search for her. He runs out of the room carrying her purse with him. He runs straight to Kid's office and barges in. "Kid! I think something terrible has happened to Maka!" He yelled in a panicky way while panting and having his hands on his knees.

Kid just got done talking to Liz and Patty about the good old days. They all turn around to see Soul panting and sweat all over him. They were a little confused to what Soul had screamed when he ran in here.

"What? What do you think happened to Maka?" Kid asked while walking towards Soul to see if he is alright. Kid saw Maka's purse in Soul's hand and started to wonder if what Soul said was true. He is now starting to get worried about Maka.

"I don't know. The last time I saw her, she was going to give the new janitor you hired around and talk about the new rules to the academy. When she was late for coming home, I came to check on her. I went to the Janitor's room and no one was there. All I found was this weird smell and her purse on the table." Soul tried to explain as calmly as he could.

"Janitor? I didn't hire a Janitor. We didn't need a Janitor for almost 2 years now. The students take care of the academy just fine now." Kid said while being really confused of what is happening right now.

"What?" Soul said. His eyes just turned wide now. His heart stopped for what seemed forever, like he just died. "What do you mean you didn't hire a janitor? Who was that guy then?" Soul asked a bit more panicky now.

Everyone just froze right then and there. They just realized that someone has kidnapped Maka. Everyone looked at Soul to see how he is doing. Soul just felt like he died. He felt like he was surrounded in darkness and he felt so alone. This was right after he finally got what he desired the most, and it was just taken away just like that.

"Liz, Patty. We need to find everyone and have them search for Maka immediately. I am going to reach everyone else on the mirror. This is a prior matter that cannot wait. Go now." Kid said while seeing them off and turned towards the mirror.

He tried to call Blackstar to see if he can help with the search. But he is unable to reach him because Blackstar went on a trip 2 days ago with his students to train them more. And knowing Blackstar, he would leave his mirror on purpose to prove to his that they all can survive on his own. "Typical Blackstar." Kid said while doing a face palm.

"Soul. Maybe you can get Professor Stein to help with the search. Knowing any janitor, he probably asked Stein to help with something for capturing Maka." Kid said while Soul was still in a daze.

Soul snapped out of it. "Ya, that's a good idea. I will do that." Soul said while getting up and running to Stein's office.

Soul barged into Stein's office while panting even more. "Prof. Stein. Did you see Maka or a Janitor recently?" He said while still panting heavily looking at Stein.

Prof. Stein turned around, after dissecting a rare bird, to See Soul almost passed out and said, "I didn't Maka, but I did see the Janitor lately."

"Where?!" Soul blurted out knowing that he could find a lead from him.

"Here. He wanted to borrow some of my testing tubes for some reason. But he then returned them with a weird smell to them." Stein said while grabbing a tube and giving it to Soul.

Soul gave it back and said thanks. Stein went back to dissecting while Soul had left the room. "I wonder what was up with him. Oh well, back to dissecting." He said with a smile on his face.

Soul went straight back to the room to see if he can find anymore hints in there. He couldn't find anything around there.

He thought about the smell and tried smelling for that smell. The smell is weaker now. He thought that he could probably track her with this smell. He was trying to think of something for tacking her. He might think a dog might be able to do it. But he can't remember being friends with any dogs. He tried to think of something else that can have a good sniffer.

He suddenly thought of Blair. I could probably get Blair to help track her.

He jumped onto his motorcycle and drove straight to home. He ran into his house and shouted out Blair's name.

Blair popped up from her cat nap and said, "Yes, what would you want Soul. Is there something wrong?"

He tells her everything that happened over the last couple of days. She was confused on some parts, like how this just popped out of nowhere trying to capture Maka. But she understood everything and they went straight for the room.

Blair turned into a cat and tried to find the smell. It was weak, but it is still there. Blair had remembered the smell, and jumped out of the window following it.

They were both so worried for Maka. The most they can do now is follow the scent and see where it leads.